Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
What are you reading right now?
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I'm reading The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell.

What's your impression of this one? Smile

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. I have read some of Cornwell's other historical novels before and I like his style. This one has a new approach to the Arthur legends which I find interesting.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Ah, thanks, man. I read Cornwell's Grail series, and, in retrospect, I didn't find them all too original.
I postponed reading the Sharpe series - national duty, for me, as a Spaniard - because of it.

But I hear that the Arthurian adventures are far more interesting. Smile

Myself, postponed Underworld, and reading "The Dread Empire" by Glen Cook. Cook, probably one of my favorite fantasy authors. So, good times.

Lots and lots of work, but good times.
Orkneyinga Saga - The History of the Earls of Orkney.
Apart from this I'm reading lots of gamebooks...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Currently reading "The Last Ship," the novel from the 1980's that inspired the current TV series on TNT. Interesting to note the differences between the two, mostly that in the book it's a nuclear war that starts the whole thing off and in the TV show it's a biological plague.

The book put me off at first; the first 40 pages or so didn't make much sense but then the action started and it's gotten a lot better. I actually put it down for a week or two until I saw the first episode of the TV show, then picked it up and am determined to plow through it. 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
New Jim Butcher out: Dresden Files #15: Skin Game
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
Joe Abercrombie's The Last Argument of Kings. I'm rereading it for the 7th time.
Mythlym Wrote:Joe Abercrombie's The Last Argument of Kings. I'm rereading it for the 7th time.

Wow, you're the second person recommending Abercrombie to me this week Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
RobJN Wrote:New Jim Butcher out: Dresden Files #15: Skin Game
Read it in May when it first came out. A great book!

The Dresden Files books are interesting in that they started off more like a pulp detective story, only with supernatural elements, but slowly took off as a major plot arc. Sometimes I wish Butcher would go back to the older style, but I am enjoying the plot arc.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
RAAAAAAAAAAH, wrong thread. Big Grin
finarvyn Wrote:
RobJN Wrote:New Jim Butcher out: Dresden Files #15: Skin Game
Read it in May when it first came out. A great book!

The Dresden Files books are interesting in that they started off more like a pulp detective story, only with supernatural elements, but slowly took off as a major plot arc. Sometimes I wish Butcher would go back to the older style, but I am enjoying the plot arc.
Storm Front was a college writing project of Jim's. He cleaned it up quite a bit, and his agent suggested another title. Originally, it was called "Semiautomagic"

I like that he largely keeps to pulp detective elwments: the missing dame, the murder mystery, the caper and the "steal it back" scenario... it's just that the more powerful Harry gets, the bigger the movers and shakers are, and the bigger the stakes.

Five more books until the "big damn apocalyptic trilogy." Can't wait...
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog