Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
5e - Sell it to me.
I am interested in all kinds of RPGs. I always pay extra attention to the largest companies since what they are doing tends to affect everything else.

I have bought every edition of D&D so far and its not something I intend stopping with. There are always some ideas of rules I can steal for my games.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:I have bought every edition of D&D so far and its not something I intend stopping with. There are always some ideas of rules I can steal for my games.
I have bought them all as well, although I grow more weary with each successive edition. I mean, the version I love the most (OD&D) hasn't really been supported since around 1980, and with each new edition I play it less and less. Rather than play lots of 3E and 4E I keep going back to earlier versions or substitute C&C or DCC instead.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Ooooh, Sauna will prey on you like hungry wolves prey on Liam Neeson.

But, yeah, for me, it's the same. One finds one's favorites, and one will stick to them. Especially,
if a campaign goes really long with one particular system, one establishes certain habits that are difficult to drop later.

That said, I am always willing to experiment, but I usually keep the effort and the time in check that it will cost me to do so.
So, these days, I am more inclined to try one-book systems and "light" games, simply because getting into new
multi-book systems wouldn't leave me the time for the stuff that I already like. So, as I recently wrote on DF,
DCC RPG yes, but 7th Sea, Ars Magica, 4e, 5e, or Star Wars Saga, NO.

Anyway, first and foremost now, off to prepare that Dragon Warriors game I keep babbling about for a year...
STILL haven't finished reading that goddamn adventure... Smile
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:So, these days, I am more inclined to try one-book systems and "light" games, simply because getting into new
multi-book systems wouldn't leave me the time for the stuff that I already like. So, as I recently wrote on DF,
DCC RPG yes, but 7th Sea, Ars Magica, 4e, 5e, or Star Wars Saga, NO.

Old man is old?

Like you I am not so interested in spending time to learn new rules, but if someone else is willing to GM/DM I am up for trying any RPG. And I would _love_ to give 7th Sea a go. Smile

-Havard
Pfffffffffft, goddamn viking.

If somebody else GMs, it's obviously not the same. I am obviously referring to run a game myself.

...Also, if I don't run a game, what would I need the books for, at all?! :twisted:
Yeah, I thought that was what you meant Smile

But are you saying you never buy any books to games where you are just a player?

-Havard
Only, if the game is worth the while, really. I think it's also a thing out of respect to the DM.
Like, I don't want to know so much about a setting or a system that he rules. Keeps groups healthier, I think.

Now, if something is truly good, I'll gladly buy it for my own collection, but to be honest, I've always been mainly interested
in D&D, and since most other games I participate in are really everything from Midgard to M&M, I only seldomly pick up other stuff.
Havard Wrote:I would _love_ to give 7th Sea a go.
The original "roll and keep" system and not the d20 version, I hope. :wink:

When 7th Sea first came out my game group was hooked. It helps when you have players who enjoy speaking in funny accents. It's an awesome game!

At one point I had all of the splatbooks, but have since trimmed my collection down to the Players book and the GM book. I figure that will be enough for me!
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D since 1975

- Dave Arneson

finarvyn Wrote:At one point I had all of the splatbooks, but have since trimmed my collection down to the Players book and the GM book. I figure that will be enough for me!
Okay, I lied. I went back to my game shelf to check and realize that I also kept the GM screen and a copy of the d20 Swashbuckling Adventures book.

And a box of "Scorched" d10's. That particular color scheme looks a lot like the colors of the rulebook, so they were my official 7th Sea dice.

And somewhere I have a 7th Sea t-shirt that I bought at GenCon the year the game came out. The slogan on the back of the t-shirt reads:
Pirates get the gold
Gentlemen get the girl
Heroes get both

I guess I'm a fan. Tongue
Marv / Finarvyn
OD&D since 1975

- Dave Arneson

finarvyn Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I would _love_ to give 7th Sea a go.
The original "roll and keep" system and not the d20 version, I hope. :wink:

Actually, yep Smile

I have the roll & Keep core books for 7th Sea and also the Legend of Five Rings. Never actually played either of them though.

finarvyn Wrote:And somewhere I have a 7th Sea t-shirt that I bought at GenCon the year the game came out. The slogan on the back of the t-shirt reads:
Pirates get the gold
Gentlemen get the girl
Heroes get both

Awesome! Big Grin

-Havard