Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
When Nomads become Peshwah
Havard Wrote:
Aldarron Wrote:Think so. My best guess is around 985 (see timeline). I think Foo bribed Duke Whitehead for Ten's autonomy and I beleive that occured before the invasion. Otherwise, DotP should have been involved in the invasion, since Ten was involved and Ten had been part of the DoTP.

Makes sense. Duke Whitehead may also have been quite easy to convince/bribe since he had just suffered from the rampage of Marfeldt through the Duchy of the Peaks the year before.

But the Duchy of Ten were allied to the Egg of Coot at this time, so this must all have been prior to the split between the Egg and Ran.

-Havard

Actually, I take that back. I don't think Ten was involved in the first Coot invasion. Only the second. Marfeldt's maurading of the Peaks occured around the time of the the first invasion so I don't think it had anything to do with Ten's independance.

I think, after getting whopped the first time, Coot makes a peace with Ran to aid him in the second invasion.

Part of the reason for putting the split between Ran and Coot ten years before the start of the FFC (994/995) is to give time for Ran to take control of Ten, build Starmorgan, Mount Rockey, and his dragon breeding pens and so forth. That stuff couldn't have happened overnight.
Aldarron Wrote:Actually, I take that back. I don't think Ten was involved in the first Coot invasion. Only the second. Marfeldt's maurading of the Peaks occured around the time of the the first invasion so I don't think it had anything to do with Ten's independance.

Actually, according to the FFC, the Egg and Ten were allies during the initial Coot Invasion.

Quote:I think, after getting whopped the first time, Coot makes a peace with Ran to aid him in the second invasion.

Part of the reason for putting the split between Ran and Coot ten years before the start of the FFC (994/995) is to give time for Ran to take control of Ten, build Starmorgan, Mount Rockey, and his dragon breeding pens and so forth. That stuff couldn't have happened overnight.

But do we know that these things were ready in 994/995? Or could they have been constructed along the way? Another thing that is interesting here is Chuck Monson. We know that he controlled the Duchy of Ten until he was overthrown in a Peasant Revolt towards the end of the FFC. The question is, was Chuck=Ran or did Ran take over after Chuck lost his position? If Chuck was Ran, then we know why Ran is not mentioned in DA4...

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Actually, according to the FFC, the Egg and Ten were allies during the initial Coot Invasion.-Havard

Having trouble finding that reference Havard. Do you have a page #?i

Havard Wrote:
Quote:I think, after getting whopped the first time, Coot makes a peace with Ran to aid him in the second invasion.

But do we know that these things were ready in 994/995? Or could they have been constructed along the way? -Havard

No because the Handout which describes all of these things was from "the first year"; meaning it was already true in what we now refer too as 995.

Havard Wrote:Another thing that is interesting here is Chuck Monson. We know that he controlled the Duchy of Ten until he was overthrown in a Peasant Revolt towards the end of the FFC. The question is, was Chuck=Ran or did Ran take over after Chuck lost his position? If Chuck was Ran, then we know why Ran is not mentioned in DA4...

-Havard

That's interesting. I thought Monson only held a barony or some such in Ten, are you sure he controlled the whole thing? Maybe he was Ran....
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Actually, according to the FFC, the Egg and Ten were allies during the initial Coot Invasion.-Havard

Having trouble finding that reference Havard. Do you have a page #?i

I'm referring to page 3. Granted it only lists them as Evil realms. I was assuming that being listed as Evil meant being in an alliance, though I guess it can be read in more than one way.

Quote:No because the Handout which describes all of these things was from "the first year"; meaning it was already true in what we now refer too as 995.

Ah, that clarifies quite a few things. The FFC is much less clear on this with the "NPC section" following a brief overview of the campaign as a whole.

Quote:That's interesting. I thought Monson only held a barony or some such in Ten, are you sure he controlled the whole thing? Maybe he was Ran....

I interpret his quote as controlling the entire Duchy. I dont know if he participated in more RPG type sessions or whether he was only present at the more strategy type game sessions?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:I'm referring to page 3. Granted it only lists them as Evil realms. I was assuming that being listed as Evil meant being in an alliance, though I guess it can be read in more than one way.-Havard

Page three is "Scenario III (the previous two having been lost .. .slc): The entire 3rd Year of the Blackmoor Campeign..." and details the "Great War" otherwise known as the 2nd coot invasion.

Havard Wrote:
Quote:No because the Handout which describes all of these things was from "the first year"; meaning it was already true in what we now refer too as 995.

Ah, that clarifies quite a few things. The FFC is much less clear on this with the "NPC section" following a brief overview of the campaign as a whole. -Havard

I'm not sure if we are on the same page so I'll clarify. The FFC says "Blackmoor's More Infamouse Characters: Giving a breakdown on the sheets handed out to the players..."

Further Down it says "Krey turned traitor and joined Soukup... during the first year."

Since the "good guys" player breakdown includes Krey still as a good guy it must be from the first year.

The "bad guys" (infamous characters) has a "table of contents" that leaves out the "good guy" entries of the Blue Rider, Svenny, Mello and the Bishop. These four appear to be later (1973/74) additons/handouts.

Those "bad Guys" listed in the "table of contenets" might well date to the first year handout, but could be from 1972. The fact that they are not very D&D compatible indicates they couldn't be any more recent since Gary had already written the playtest D&D rules and Dave was using them.
Thanks for walking me through this Aldarron! I have found the FFC fairly tricky to read. I guess I had missed the part that said that the character descriptions were based on player handouts. Makes sense if you compare them to Braustein character handouts.

As to whether the Duchy of Ten and the Egg of Coot were allies, I guess it also depends on whether "Evil" and "Good" should be seen as alliances. There could definately be a lot of room for shifting alliances and betrayals. OTOH, beyond the whole fact that Ran fled to set up his own realm, there is nothing to suggest that Ten did not support the Egg in its invasion. Betrayals seems to have been more common on the side of good (with Krey and the Weasel).

-Havard