Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Humans of Blackmoor?
Freedom92 Wrote:Yeah Sun Brothers were the greater version of the Sollux.

Check out Ripvanwormer's details on the City of Brass where he presents a theory for the origin of the Sollux and also ties in other Blackmoor elements, like the Ordo Elementarum.

Quote:I see then so the picts could be considered the original stock for Valemen and possibly others. I could see those debased Valemen who refused to serve Thonia or any man besides their own and went off into the wild. This is where they met others like them but of the monstrous breed and with this thing in common they became one group breeding in and out.

Yeah, that would work Smile

Quote:I would love to delve into Salik some how, might try and think of a way to do that.

Would love to see what you can come up with!

Here's what I have in my Thonian Empire thread:

Havard Wrote:Salik
This is a desert realm in the southern part of the Empire. Its rulers are powerful magic users worshipped as Gods by the people.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Freedom92 Wrote:I know the majority of Blackmoors human inhabitants are of Thonian blood....

Are they? Most of the settlers do seem to be originating in the Great kingdom, so I guess that could be true.

The original human inhabitants of the Northern Marches were the picts, no doubt identical to the picts of Howard's Conan tales. As "bad guys" in Arnesons game they were replaced by orcs; and orcs do seem to have acquired some details that probably were originally written for picts like the description of their villages and wagon trains in the FFC.

However, picts themselves never disappeared from blackmoor, being described as inhabiting islands in the waterway and similarly hidden places and to have figured prominantly in one of Ross Makers adventures. (I think of it as being somewhat similar to the situation of the seminol indians in Florida Everglades.)

Picts and the pictish people again seem to appear in the d20 series of Dave Arneson's Blackmoor, though for obvious reasons they are not specifically named and referred to anonymously in The Wizards Cabal (page 3) as "primitive nations" and tribal people "similar" to the peshwa and afridhi. They are said to worship nature and to have originated the Wokan Class. The Wokan Class itself, (4e, DAB The First Campaign) is another potential source of information on picts, though the wokan are probably much more nature focused than the average pict would be. Lastly, in the rather dubious history found in Zeitgeists Dungeon's of castle Blackmoor, the first human settlers of Blackmoor are said to be literate, armed with bronze weapons and to be lead by "bearded priests", which I take to be another reference to picts.

As I play it, the average peasant born in Blackmoor has some, usually a lot, of pictish ancestry, just as in real life, the populations of colonial societies are dominated by native genetic heritage even though culturally they are more akin to the colonizers.
Ah okay! Might use that instead of my idea then! Didnt notice those mentions oxo I'll have to reread the Wizards Cabal supplement. Also could use that info for why Wokans pop in the setting out side the humanoids and might use their interaction as why the wokan is seen among those humanoids.
Good catch on these references Aldarron!

I agree with your analysis. There definitely are barbaric peoples of various sorts living in the Blackmoor area. Some of them could be Peshwah, Skandaharians or Frisians but there could be other groups as well.

There is also the question of the Monks of the Swamp. Are they all recruited from Thonian stock, or could the majority of them be from a different people?

My assumption was that the remainder of these people would be Valemen, but of course, that name suggests that they are from the Vales. I think I will refer to them as Swampfolk from now on, as I don't like the name Picts. They are probably related to the Valemen, but they could easily be considered their own group.

-Havard
Mirakhosians added to the list.

Mirakhosians are sailors and saber-fighters.

-Havard