Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Peshwa literary origins
Havard Wrote:St. Stephen and references to Space Ships appear much earlier in the Blackmoor Campaign of course as they are linked to the Temple of the Frog and Stephen Rocheford (Maybe 1974).

The Peshwa are already around for the Coot Invasions (1972).

Clarification: From today's perspective, I am pretty much convinced that the only verifyable impact (unless Adams presented Arneson his projects before publication, or whatever) is that the Horseclan books influenced the DA series, not the FFC (the game, not the product).

The similarity in tropes might indicate other connections, but I am not familiar enough with Swords & Planets as a genre, to make a real judgement.
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c8vd708n/

In case you indeed overread it, this is the place to start.

AM I INVISIBLE? DO YOU GUYS HAVE ME ON IGNORE? ARE YOU PUZZLED BY THE LINK ABOVE CONSISTING OF NUMBERS, LETTERS, AND SYMBOLS?
My apoligies on this. I jumped into the thread late when I was google searching on "horseclans" and "rpg" and this thread popped up. I should have gone back to read the whole thing, but instead pretty much just necro'ed the thing and added my comments. I totally missed your link. Sad

Having said that, following the link led me to a page that described the fact that some awesome papers may be in California but that I am not, so I may not get any answers there either. Sad
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Big Grin No apologies needed! Let's just agree that I am allowed to insult Tolkien publically for free... One time. Big Grin

Do we have an agent in Cali? - Because that one would surely be interesting to check out;
but, again, the listing doesn't name any magazine contributions, or anything alike.
Raphael Pinthus Wrote:Clarification: From today's perspective, I am pretty much convinced that the only verifyable impact (unless Adams presented Arneson his projects before publication, or whatever) is that the Horseclan books influenced the DA series, not the FFC (the game, not the product).

Agreed. Dave Arneson may very well have been talking about his post 1977 campaign or the DA modules while making that statement. The Peshwa featured quite prominently in DA3 City of the Gods so Dave may have been giving the Peshwa a work-over while developing the manuscript for that module.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
When I return from my trip, we might want to work on, finally, a comprehensive reading list for the well-rounded Blackmoorian. Smile

I have a few other books that I want to check first, but after that, also in regards to the AoT booklet, this might be interesting to explore.

(My own take on BM was admittedly always based on stuff not even remotely related to the original materiall, or to the likely sources of Arneson's inspiration.)
...I am reading up on some Adams, these days. So, the Ithkar series starts with the tale of a giant, magic egg, and spaceships.

What are we missing here? :|

"Great minds think alike", or was there some deeper connection? - Like, my spider sense is tingling...