Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Peshwa literary origins
in the thread on Mortality radio in the Wood of the Revenant:

finarvyn Wrote:... I noticed (again) that Dave mentions the Horseclans series as inspiration and this still puzzles me. I did a bunch of web searching and every source seems to confirm that Adams' first published novel was also the first Horseclans book in 1975. While it might have inspired Blackmoor's evolution, it can't have inspired the 1970-71 genesis.

I'm sure it was just his memory being wrong years later, but it also explains why Horseclans keeps coming up on lists.

Huh. This made me wonder if there might have been another litereary source from the time and then it occured to me"

Nomads of Gor - 1969

The nomads are four tribes wandering the plains of Turia with great herds of "bosk". They are great horsemen, hunters, warriors, etc.

I only ever read a couple chapters of this book, but I'd bet the similarities to the hak are more than coincidental.
Aldarron Wrote:in the thread on Mortality radio in the Wood of the Revenant:

finarvyn Wrote:... I noticed (again) that Dave mentions the Horseclans series as inspiration and this still puzzles me. I did a bunch of web searching and every source seems to confirm that Adams' first published novel was also the first Horseclans book in 1975. While it might have inspired Blackmoor's evolution, it can't have inspired the 1970-71 genesis.

I'm sure it was just his memory being wrong years later, but it also explains why Horseclans keeps coming up on lists.

Huh. This made me wonder if there might have been another litereary source from the time and then it occured to me"

Nomads of Gor - 1969

The nomads are four tribes wandering the plains of Turia with great herds of "bosk". They are great horsemen, hunters, warriors, etc.

I only ever read a couple chapters of this book, but I'd bet the similarities to the hak are more than coincidental.

Cool! Definately worth looking into. Smile

Wrt Horseclans, the fact that Dave mentioned those books specifically could suggest that he read them later and felt that they really captured the essence of how he had imagined the Peshwa, even if they were created before the books came out.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Point is, from what we know, the WoB was created in different waves, Peshwah came relatively late, around 1975, and with new players that read the novels. Smile
Rafael Wrote:Point is, from what we know, the WoB was created in different waves, Peshwah came relatively late, around 1975, and with new players that read the novels. Smile

Havards' prolly right about the Horseclans novels being inspirational down the road, but "Horseman of the Peshwah" show up in the list of good forces from the January 1973 list of forces for the "great invasion" aka 2nd coot invasion. (FFC77:3) I doubt its an anachronism, so it predates Horseclans for sure.
Aldarron Wrote:
Rafael Wrote:Point is, from what we know, the WoB was created in different waves, Peshwah came relatively late, around 1975, and with new players that read the novels. Smile

Havards' prolly right about the Horseclans novels being inspirational down the road, but "Horseman of the Peshwah" show up in the list of good forces from the January 1973 list of forces for the "great invasion" aka 2nd coot invasion. (FFC77:3) I doubt its an anachronism, so it predates Horseclans for sure.

The name also fits with previous speculations about Afghan names as inspiration, such as Goblin Kush/Hindu Kush and Peshawar/Peshwah.

-Havard
Aldarron Wrote:

Hehe...

The Horseclan novels were first published as serials in Heavy Metal magazine, AFAIK. Before 1975. :twisted:
Rafael Wrote:Hehe...

The Horseclan novels were first published as serials in Heavy Metal magazine, AFAIK. Before 1975. :twisted:

Excellent find!
Is it possible to find out when Heavy Metal ran the series? Arneson's memory might not have been as fuzzy on this subject as we first assumed.

-Havard
I think there is an index of HM articles somewhere, but, blimey, I don't remember.
Havard Wrote:
Rafael Wrote:Hehe...

Excellent find!
Is it possible to find out when Heavy Metal ran the series? Arneson's memory might not have been as fuzzy on this subject as we first assumed.
Wikipedia (not always the best source) seems to indicate that HEAVY METAL magazine had a debut in 1977, so if there are Horseclan books serialized there they probably aren't the first ones.

That still puts the date of Horseclans after the events listed in FFC.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
-_-

I recall to have read this somewhere, though.

Did Pinnacle Books (Robert Adams' publisher) perhaps sport an in-house mag that could have published the stories beforehand?

In retrospect, Kevin Eastman & HM is indeed a far call.

His manuscripts are with the University of California, though, so this, for once, is not an impossible puzzle to solve if one got access to the archives there:

http://www.oac.cdlib.org/findaid/ark:/13030/c8vd708n/