Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Afridhi
Aldarron Wrote:I wouldn't say noone... I consuluted P&P fairly heavily when working on the DaD rules, when tracing out certain threads of development, particularly magic and combat. But in setting terms you are quite right, we don't draw from it much. I think part of that is that Richard deliberately distanced the setting from Blackmoor. He made it clear the Perilous Lands were not related to Blackmoor (at least in his mind) so I'm not sure how appropriate it would be to draw on that cosmology.

I also have an ambition to get more into the Perilous Lands Setting and some of the other things Rafe mentioned. The only reason why I haven't done so yet is time. Once we expand beyond Arneson proper there is just so much material out there. We will get to it though Smile

Quote: I am planning to run his Tower of the Dead as an adventure for my group but I haven't mmade the stat conversions yet.

Interesting. Let us know how that goes!

Quote:Yep, Deborah Nafziger (sp?), according to Jeff Berry, and but its likely she and Dave concieved the idea together. As an EPT player she likely proposed a EPT like character she was familiar with (priestess) and she and Dave crafted an EPT like background for the character. I'm not suggesting there was a real one to one correlation or that they were consciously thinking of the Nom when making the Afridhi, just that its a nice fit. What I like about the Nom/ZugZul/Vimulha idea I proposed is that it takes a bit of real Twin cities gaming history (EPT player creeating a character for Blackmoor) and turns it into a bit of ingame history.

The idea that Deborah and Dave worked together on the concept of the Afridhi seems likely, assuming that Rocheford's story illustrates how Dave would typically work with his players when coming up with PC concepts.

Quote:As I see it Afridhi have some Spartan like elements in their fanatical discipline and superiority complex. I can see their society as being on a constant war footing, with everyone focused on growing the nation. The women, perhaps, take multiple husbands and being rewarded for producing (but not raising) as many children as possible.

Interesting!

Quote:Numenoreans are cool but I'm not seeing much similarity there. Very different mythologies.

I'm not too keen on importing elements directly from Tolkien, even if Arneson & Co certainly did so back in the days.

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
blogged on this topic (again), here:
http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... kumel.html

Just a summary of what we have been discussing lately. Smile

-Havard
Just noticed this intriguing note in the Credits of DA4:

"Extra special thanks to Deborah C. Ritchie for her design of the Afridhi religion and culture."

hm. :|
Aldarron Wrote:Just noticed this intriguing note in the Credits of DA4:

"Extra special thanks to Deborah C. Ritchie for her design of the Afridhi religion and culture."

Interesting!!

Did Ritchie marry miss Naffziger?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:

Interesting!!

-Havard
Confusedhock:
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:

Interesting!!

-Havard
Confusedhock:

Indeed. If Deborah Naffziger and Deborah Ritchie is the same person, that is a huge find. If Ritchie had direct access to someone who had played in Arneson's campaign, in fact the player of the character Toska Rusa, that also explains where Ritchie may have gotten some of his insight into the setting beyond just the matter of the Afridhi.

-Havard
Have you guys found out anything more on The Afridhi? My imagination has been consumed by them recently and I'm very interested in devouring all that I can find out.
Kanye Westeros Wrote:Have you guys found out anything more on The Afridhi? My imagination has been consumed by them recently and I'm very interested in devouring all that I can find out.

Hello Kanye!

IIRC Chirine suggested the two Deborahs were not the same person, though I could be misremembering.

Basically we have the following sources on them:

1) Original Campaign:
We know that the Afridhi Queen (Toska Rusa) was played by Deborah Naffziger. Greg describes the Afridhi as similar to "Devil worshippers". The FFC does not mention them by name, but several of the mentions of barbarian attacks could be references to them.

2) DA Modules
These give more detail with an Afghan/Persian style to their culture as well as the idea of a matriarchy. Zugzul, their God, is mentioned for the first time AFAIK. Handmaidens of Death are introduced.

3) D20 Books
These provide the same info as in the DA modules, but Zugzul is now the God of Fire and Darkness instead of Fire and Ice. The Afridhi are depicted more like human sized Fire Giants, which is not the impression I got from DA4.

-Havard
I am doing something with this elsewhere, so I have to remain vague,
but a little bit of historical research will lead you to stuff that will be well applicable for a fantasy game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afridi