Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Afridhi
I have summarized the information given by Greg and Jeff on the origin of this people, mixed in with some of my own ideas here:

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... ridhi.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Thanks for the info on the origins of Toska Rusa. When I saw the name Naffziger, I immediately thought of George Nafziger, whose name is very well-known among historical wargamers for his very extensive ORBATS and TOE's of many battles.

Being well-versed on the subject of the Anglo-Afghan Wars, I was immediately struck by the ethnonym Afridhi used in DLA's early campaign (as well as the proper noun Peshwa). If I were to have a Blackmoor campaign I would take much of what I've learned about the 19th c. Afghan tribes (fierce, stubborn, balkanised, superstitious, renowned swordsmen, deadly snipers with the long-ranged jezzail, treacherous, etc. incited to acts of bloodshed by raving holy men known as Mullahs and Fakirs) and adapt it to a fantasy milieu. 8)
DungeonDevil Wrote:Thanks for the info on the origins of Toska Rusa. When I saw the name Naffziger, I immediately thought of George Nafziger, whose name is very well-known among historical wargamers for his very extensive ORBATS and TOE's of many battles.

Interesting. I wonder if there is any relation?

Quote:Being well-versed on the subject of the Anglo-Afghan Wars, I was immediately struck by the ethnonym Afridhi used in DLA's early campaign (as well as the proper noun Peshwa). If I were to have a Blackmoor campaign I would take much of what I've learned about the 19th c. Afghan tribes (fierce, stubborn, balkanised, superstitious, renowned swordsmen, deadly snipers with the long-ranged jezzail, treacherous, etc. incited to acts of bloodshed by raving holy men known as Mullahs and Fakirs) and adapt it to a fantasy milieu. 8)

These are great ideas! They are also quite appropriate IMO. The risk here is to produce something that is potentially very offensive to some people. This is not such a big problem in home campaigns, but for publishing online it is worth thinking about. The Afridhi are generally to be seen as an evil race, although DA4 does include information about subversive groups.

Another useful difference from real world cultures is that the Afridhi are a Matriarchal Culture, dominated by female priestesses. Toska Rusa holding the high title of Mistress of God, while her priestesses/officers are known as Handmaidens of Death.

I would love to hear more about your ideas on this subject!

-Havard
Nice writeup on your blog Havard. Unfortunetly short though. Seems strange that, given they have been such a long time part of Blackmoor, there isn't more written about them or that ZGG didn't produce a sourcebook.

Matriarchy - so can you elaborate on this? My sense is that its an assumption because of Toska Rusa and her priestesses, but having a female priesthood, even in a theocracy does not alone a matriachy make. In fact, its not unusual for cultures to reserve spiritual roles to women where they are otherwise considered secondary to men. In such societies women may become shamen/whiches/priests to gain some power in their lives. I'm not sure what the case may be with the Aifridi.

Black skin -I forgot about that and its a very important detail because black skin is of course a biological no no in northern climes where lack of sunlight results in low production of vitamin D. To survive and maintain black pigmentation, the Aifridi must either have a secondary source of Vitamin D in thier diet or be biologically different from other humans.

interesting to note that both black skin and red hair have been thought by people to be the "mark of Cain" and associated with murderous rage. Also Kali is black as midnight. Perhaps Dave was drawing on that imagery.

The connection to EPT is extremely interesting since it would imply that Toska Rusa and the Aifridi are a kind of import from EPT culture and EPT could be used as a source to expand our info about them.

Of course there is also the obvious connection to ancient zoroastrianism.
Aldarron Wrote:Nice writeup on your blog Havard. Unfortunetly short though. Seems strange that, given they have been such a long time part of Blackmoor, there isn't more written about them or that ZGG didn't produce a sourcebook.

Thanks!
There's more coming Smile
One reason I kept it so short was that I wanted this article to focus on the origins of the Afridhi in the campaign. I plan on writing something longer later on, but I am also hoping this thread can give us some ideas first. The best official source on the Afridhi is DA4. It actually has more information on the Afridhi than on the Duchy of Ten, so the title is somewhat misleading.

Quote:Matriarchy - so can you elaborate on this? My sense is that its an assumption because of Toska Rusa and her priestesses, but having a female priesthood, even in a theocracy does not alone a matriachy make. In fact, its not unusual for cultures to reserve spiritual roles to women where they are otherwise considered secondary to men. In such societies women may become shamen/whiches/priests to gain some power in their lives. I'm not sure what the case may be with the Aifridi.

Interesting question.
It seems like the authority of women extends well beyond the spiritual. The leaders of society are the Sisters of Fire, who act as judges, tax officials and leaders. Then there are the Hand Maidens of Death who are a kind of elite soldiers or commanders. On the other hand there is a secret group called the Children of Zug which wishes to the end female dominance.

Quote:Black skin -I forgot about that and its a very important detail because black skin is of course a biological no no in northern climes where lack of sunlight results in low production of vitamin D. To survive and maintain black pigmentation, the Aifridi must either have a secondary source of Vitamin D in thier diet or be biologically different from other humans.

interesting to note that both black skin and red hair have been thought by people to be the "mark of Cain" and associated with murderous rage. Also Kali is black as midnight. Perhaps Dave was drawing on that imagery.

My impression is that it is an unnatural blackness to their skin. In the ZG version, Zugzul is the God of Fire and Darkness, so there could be a link here. I do like the Mark of Pain parallell though...

Quote:The connection to EPT is extremely interesting since it would imply that Toska Rusa and the Aifridi are a kind of import from EPT culture and EPT could be used as a source to expand our info about them.

Of course there is also the obvious connection to ancient zoroastrianism.

Definately interesting ideas. Perhaps something Jeff can help us with... Smile

-Havard
Origin of the Afridhi

In real terms, we know the Afridhi were introduced to blackmoor with a character called Toska Rusa who was an EPT regular and occaisional Blackmoor player.

“Afridhiâ€
You ask some highly relevant questions here, Aldarron:

1) Where do the Afridhi come from?
2) How and why has their culture developed into something so different from that of Blackmoor and its neighours?

Your theory of having the Afridhi come from Tekumel is sound, but I am hesitant about weaving Tekumel and Blackmoor together so closely together. One reason for this is because I dont know Tekumel well enough. Another is because AFAIK there is no such thing as Afridhi in Tekumel. A third reason is that I am not sure such an elaborate explanation is neccessary.

Here's how I see it: The heartlands of the Afridhi Empire are far from Blackmoor and even the Duchy of Ten. Goblin Kush lays to the far west, across the Vales from the Duchy of Ten, and Goblin Kush itself is not the Afridhi Heartlands, but rather the mountain that marks the border into the traditional Afridhi Empire. The name Goblin Kush could be one given to the mountain by the Valemen before they learned of the true nature of the people who lived there.

The arrival of the Afridhi to the vicinity of Blackmoor's neighbours is very recent. Untill a few decades ago, noone in Blackmoor had heard of the Afridhi. It was only when their god Zugzul ordered them to march eastwards in order for Toska Rusa to obtain the Well of Souls that the people of Blackmoor began learning of the Afridhi.

Their strange appearance is certainly unnatural, possibly because they are not really human at all, perhaps related to Fire Giants, but I also like your theory that it could be a result of manipulations from their God. Perhaps the title Mistress of the God means more than just being high priestess?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:The risk here is to produce something that is potentially very offensive to some people.

Offensive? To whom? :?
On a side note, I have laboured hard over these recent years to not bow to the coersion of the self-appointed Thought Police espousing what they quaintly call Political Correctness. If a referee wishes to integrate villainy into his campaign, against whom all valiant heroes must inevitably strive, then so be it. It is preposterous to mandate that referees, in the process of creating formidable antagonists for the players, must not base foes on historical antecedents. The RL inspiration for the Afridhi (if I may be presumptuous enough to nominate them) are hardly angels, based on the lurid tales of the atrocities inflicted upon the doomed Elphinstone Column in the winter of 1842.

YMMV.

Smile
I think there's no real danger of degenerating into something that might be seen as racist:

Matter of fact, 70s fantasy had red, green, blue, and black people, and it was all handled respectfully enough not to be annoying.

- It's interesting how the perception varies, though:

To me, Peshwa = Legend of Arslan people, Afridhi = Picts, Thonians = Romans.

Now, I think even though Havard plays in my game, and we share most ideas about BM, our perception is completely different.
DungeonDevil Wrote:Offensive? To whom? :?
On a side note, I have laboured hard over these recent years to not bow to the coersion of the self-appointed Thought Police espousing what they quaintly call Political Correctness. If a referee wishes to integrate villainy into his campaign, against whom all valiant heroes must inevitably strive, then so be it. It is preposterous to mandate that referees, in the process of creating formidable antagonists for the players, must not base foes on historical antecedents. The RL inspiration for the Afridhi (if I may be presumptuous enough to nominate them) are hardly angels, based on the lurid tales of the atrocities inflicted upon the doomed Elphinstone Column in the winter of 1842.

Since we are basing them on historical groups rather than modern ones we should probably be fine. Also, the Skandaharians are generally equally evil and based on my ancestors so that should defeat most arguments.

My concerns have less to do with Political Correctness and more to do with a general wish not to offend people, but what the heck Smile

I am interested in hearing more about these groups you are referring to and I think they could be very useful in expanding upon the Afridhi Smile

-Havard