Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Id Monster Tribute in Dark Sun module? (was: Monsters from..)
Aldarron Wrote:Id monster

I suspect this is a tribute to the Id Monster https://darksun.fandom.com/wiki/Id_Fiend
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:
Aldarron Wrote:Id monster

I suspect this is a tribute to the Id Monster https://darksun.fandom.com/wiki/Id_Fiend

Nice find!

I wonder if we could get this confirmed somehow? Maybe the author can be contacted on social media?

The creature looks less panther-y than I would have imagined, but it is Dark Sun afterall! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Doing some more research on this, it looks like the Id Fiend form Dark Sun originally appeared in the Dark Sun AD&D 2nd Ed Monstrous Compendium Appendix.

Anyone know who created the monsters for that one?

-Havard
Well... either it is a direct tribute to Blackmoor (and indirect tribute to the Forbidden Planet) or a direct tribute to the Forbidden Planet (that was where the Monster from the Id originally came from), by-passing Blackmoor...

[Image: 0e1140717bd8a08443dcdaba504b0d82--fictio...movies.jpg]
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Yaztromo Wrote:Well... either it is a direct tribute to Blackmoor (and indirect tribute to the Forbidden Planet) or a direct tribute to the Forbidden Planet (that was where the Monster from the Id originally came from), by-passing Blackmoor...

[Image: 0e1140717bd8a08443dcdaba504b0d82--fictio...movies.jpg]

I forget if VA Vaugn's Voyage of the Space Beagle/Black Destroyer was a direct influence on Forbidden planet, but you are right that the name Id Monster was introduced in the movie.

The Dark Sun creature could have been influenced directly from the movie or just the term "id" from psychology, but it would be cool if it had been included as a direct reference to the FFC. Smile

-Havard
Interesting. My very strong suspician is that Gygax created the Invisible Stalker based on the Id monster.