• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Afridhi Naming Traditions
These are the known Afridhi from DA4:

Toska Rusa
Dost Suwat
Gul Hadda
Sher Yakub

Is there any pattern here? Do these names sound Persian at all? Or something else? Liguists, speak up? Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Arabic sounding except "Toska" and Dost

Rusa in Arabic means rice.

I think they are copycat sounds of middleasternish aura, rather than being really drawn on a particular language.
As I noted in a previous thread the name Afridi comes from Afghanistan. The Khyber Afridis were perhaps the most famous of the tribes encountered by the British in the First and Second Anglo-Afghan Campaigns of the 19th century. The language of that place is Pashtu/Pakhthun/etc. If I were to develop those peoples more in my campaign I would turn to works that detail the Pathân tribes of Afghanistan.

Ecce liber!
Aldarron Wrote:I think they are copycat sounds of middleasternish aura, rather than being really drawn on a particular language.

Probably. This gives us something to worth with when coming up with more names though Smile

DungeonDevil Wrote:As I noted in a previous thread the name Afridi comes from Afghanistan. The Khyber Afridis were perhaps the most famous of the tribes encountered by the British in the First and Second Anglo-Afghan Campaigns of the 19th century. The language of that place is Pashtu/Pakhthun/etc. If I were to develop those peoples more in my campaign I would turn to works that detail the Pathân tribes of Afghanistan.

Ecce liber!

Good idea Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign