Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Races of Blackmoor
Which races/cultures do you find most interesting in Blackmoor? Are there any that you would like to see further developed? Have you fleshed out any of the Blackmoor races for your own campaign?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
The froglin.

As I recall they were introduced as frogmen in the origional 1970s Blackmoor book adventure; the first ever published adventure. Then the concept of something as alien yet familiar as an aquatic humanoid major enemy just seemed to fall by the wayside. They were revived somewhat with DA Blackmoor MMRPG, but their storylines seemed secondary to others such as the Afridi-Peshwaw stories. The story lines involving other enemies were also great, but historically my main association of Blackmoor is with the Temple of the Frog and strange creatures that lie within.
hunterfairbanks Wrote:The froglin.

As I recall they were introduced as frogmen in the origional 1970s Blackmoor book adventure; the first ever published adventure. Then the concept of something as alien yet familiar as an aquatic humanoid major enemy just seemed to fall by the wayside. They were revived somewhat with DA Blackmoor MMRPG, but their storylines seemed secondary to others such as the Afridi-Peshwaw stories. The story lines involving other enemies were also great, but historically my main association of Blackmoor is with the Temple of the Frog and strange creatures that lie within.

Interesting choice!

Would you use them as PCs?

IMC, Froglin always appear and often get mixed up in the other storylines. They have a deeper Cthulhu-eque origin IMC though as well as the link to the City of the Gods.

-Havard
The Blackmoor world as I understand it during the times of the D&D expert mods and the 3,5 MMRPG would probably not be very conducive to froglins as PCs. No reports of reformed froglin escaping from the cult and crusading against evil.

When they announced DA Blackmoor 4th edition and the time jump I was thinking of making one as a PC if that were an option. Had the "Age of the Wolf" campaign setting become available and had a good storyline that made froglin PCs both playable and plausable I probably would have done that.
hunterfairbanks Wrote:The Blackmoor world as I understand it during the times of the D&D expert mods and the 3,5 MMRPG would probably not be very conducive to froglins as PCs. No reports of reformed froglin escaping from the cult and crusading against evil.

When they announced DA Blackmoor 4th edition and the time jump I was thinking of making one as a PC if that were an option. Had the "Age of the Wolf" campaign setting become available and had a good storyline that made froglin PCs both playable and plausable I probably would have done that.

I love the idea of reformed froglin! And integrating that concept with the Age of the Wolf timeline is just excellent! What do you think it would take to have some froglin become reformed? Just the destruction of their temple or something else?

-Havard
I have not yet played or read the 3,5 version of the temple and have not seen the Age of the Wolf Blackmoor of the future setting, but the destruction of the temple would probably have to be part of it with some of the froglin escaping. In the 100+ years after that who knows...

Would the froglin form their own new nation in a swamp?

and/or

Would they disperse and integrate with other peoples?

Do they have an innate tendency toward favouring evil?

How fast do they reproduce? What are their numbers in AotW?

If they are numerous enough, and are not predisposed toward evil, and some managed to integrate with Blackmoor between the fall of the temple and the AotW then I can certainly see them as a PC race.
hunterfairbanks Wrote:I have not yet played or read the 3,5 version of the temple and have not seen the Age of the Wolf Blackmoor of the future setting, but the destruction of the temple would probably have to be part of it with some of the froglin escaping. In the 100+ years after that who knows...

Would the froglin form their own new nation in a swamp?

and/or

Would they disperse and integrate with other peoples?

Do they have an innate tendency toward favouring evil?

How fast do they reproduce? What are their numbers in AotW?

If they are numerous enough, and are not predisposed toward evil, and some managed to integrate with Blackmoor between the fall of the temple and the AotW then I can certainly see them as a PC race.

All great questions! I think it might be intresting to have surviving reformed Froglin as part of Blackmoor in AotW.

-Havard
Looks like Rafael has been following this discussion concerning Froglin PCs. 8)

-Havard