Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Thonia, Reprise
Hiho,

Once in a zillion years, I come to open a new thread, not Havard! Smile

I'm working on the update for LFC Companion, which might take a slightly bit longer than I had initially anticipated,
and I'd like to have somebody else but me summarize something:

I have a very concrete idea of the Great Kingdom and Thonian history.

But what exactly do we know, like by canon?
What have we found out so far?

Not fan fiction or assumptions - what do we know for a fact? Smile

Thank you very much,

Rafe
Capital: Mohacs
Founded by: Robert I of Geneva, in the year 1 NC
Current Ruler: Iyx I (Child-Emperor of Thonia).
Government Type: Empire disguising itself as a Republic.
Size: Thonia is reported to be divided into 10 provinces each the size of the Blackmoor map.
Industries: Mining, agriculture, slavery.
Population: Thonia is a multicultural society with a wide range of ethnic and cultural groups coexisting, including dark-skinned humans known as Bolgers. Non-humans such as elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings and Fey also live in the empire, but are discriminated against, leading many to have migrated to the North.

The above is mainly from the DA modules, PC1 Tall Tales of the Wee Folk, and Andrew's Website.

I have yet to work out the history of Thonia, but some bits can be worked out from the history of the Duchy of Ten and the history of demihumans, as well as the relations with Blackmoor in later years. Also the Wizards Cabal has some info, although in this case I am inclined to modify this.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Wow, thank you very much, buddy! This is a tremendous help!

But do we know any canonical events on what happens in the territory of the Great Kingdom between its founding and BM's independence? Like, nothing directly related to Blackmoor?

- I think not, but I'm not at all sure about it.
Rafael Wrote:Wow, thank you very much, buddy! This is a tremendous help!

But do we know any canonical events on what happens in the territory of the Great Kingdom between its founding and BM's independence? Like, nothing directly related to Blackmoor?

- I think not, but I'm not at all sure about it.

Well, not specifically, but:

1) How does Thonia go from a practically good Kingdom under Robert I to the corrupt regime of Iyx I?
2) Why do suddenly those ten noble families and a bunch of other people leave the Empire for the Duchy of Ten?
3) Why do dwarves, elves and Fey gradually abandon the realm?
4) How does the foundation of the Wizards Cabal affect the Wizards of Thonia?
5) Why isnt Thonia able to reclaim Blackmoor in spite of being such a huge empire?
6) How does contact with the Bolgers of the South develop, perhaps linked to the merits of Balfred the Bald and previous Blackmoor rulers?

All of these things suggest certain events without spelling them out explicitly Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Current Ruler: Iyx I (Child-Emperor of Thonia).

Correction: Iyx was a child when he ascended the throne in 1000 NC. Lets say he was 5 at the time, then he is 35 in the Present DAB setting. From what I understand, it is from the time of his ascension that Thonia really takes a step to becoming a force of evil.

-Havard
Yepp. Sumerset in our campaign is the son of this late emperor.
Rafael Wrote:Yepp. Sumerset in our campaign is the son of this late emperor.

Aha, I wasn't quite clear on the lineage there. Thanks!

BTW, I may have been wrong about Iyx being the only bad seed among Thonian Emperors. The events of 700 and 725 NC, leading the Unwanted and the Ten Nobles to leave Thonia suggest something rotten dating way back.

-Havard
I have something on this that I will put up later on.

But do we have something about the founding of Thonia, about the first century? I don't think so...

And that is really what I would be looking for...
Speaking strictly "Great (aka Grand) Kingdom" info from FFC.

The Great kingdom is South East of Blackmoor and Blackmoor/Jenkins March are the Kingdom's northernmost provinces.

The kingdom is "currently" divided - apparently experiencing something of a civil war - supposedly due to the actions of Marfeldt the Barbarian.

Capital City is the name of the principal capital and it is a coastal city. There are actually two capitals - referred to as Large and Small. The Small capital is likely a winter/seasonal retreat for the emporer.

Yearly income is not that remarkable for an empire, being slightly less than that of the Egg of Coot (but way more than almost everybody else). Perhaps this is due to the civil strife mentioned above.

Although its very probably just a synonym, it is also conceivable that the "Grand" kingdom is a differen't place altogether, possibly a breakaway area as part of the "division" caused by Marfeldt.