Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Player James Laferriere Has Passed
Crossposted from the Blackmoor Blog:

Quote:[Image: AVvXsEhqpRW_ZrcW7fZrukx1qhIdZiD_CPan3BLo...nK_V-W9mTv]

I am sad to announce that another of the original Blackmoor players has passed away. James "Jim" Laferriere joined Dave Arneson's Blackmoor group in 1973 when he enrolled as a student of  St. Thomas University in Minnesota. At this time the Blackmoor campaign had already been going on for several years, but Jim still got to experience playing with Dave Arneson long before D&D was published. He stayed in Minnesota untill 1977 when he moved to Massachuseth to study Medicine. After graduating, Jim worked for more than 35 years paediatrician operating out of Osseo, Minnesota. His passing was reported earlier today on the Secrets of Blackmoor Facebook Page.

In the original campaign, Jim played a magic user and the character of Jallapiere who appeared in DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor was likely based on Jim's character from the early days. In DA1 Jallapiere or Jal is described as a very powerful wizard, known for his kindness. He is said to be a teacher at Blackmoor University. In this video excerpt from the Secrets of Blackmoor documentary, you can see Jim and Greg Svenson talk about their early gaming experiences together in Dave Arneson's world of Blackmoor. 
My thoughts go to his friends and family. 

Full version here: http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/202...e-has.html

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I'm updating the blog article linked above as I learn more about Jim and his role in Blackmoor. Will probably update the first post later on, but updates happen first on the blog just to save time.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I actually used Jallapierre as a NPC in my campaign... RIP
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
I spoke with his daughter Elizabeth a few days ago. The family is doing well. I told her how significant her father is to so many people. She was touched by the thought that people all over the place are thinking of Jim. 

I called Wesely today to ask a question and he was at the funeral so I did not keep him on the phone very long.

The Blackmoor Bunch is a large group of people. Everyone feels the loss of Jim with people all over the place calling each other with the bad news. I recieved several calls from folk asking if I had heard, and I reached out to many myself who had already heard.

I always tell people that the BLackmoor Bunch are like the Minnesota Mafia - everyone has each other's back and they close ranks in times of duress.

He was a good gamer and a very kind and gentle soul.

Megarry said to me over the phone: He is one of the best of us.

Yet, the Blackmoor Bunch is not gone. New members have come in. They have even told me I am one of them after only a few game sessions where I must have proved my miniatures gaming ability. The Blackmoor Bunch will keep the traditions going around the table and remember those who came before.

Griff

Here is an obituary:
https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/nam...d=38510662