Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Converting Monks of the Fallen Star to 5E?
Coronides over at The Piazza asked about advice for convertin the Monks of the Fallen Star to 5E. Here are my thoughts so far which I crossposted to The Piazza:

The Monks of the Fallen Star base their beliefs around the idea that a celestial being once fell from the skies. They call this being The One and believe that all mortal races are descended from this being. Once the races are united, The One, will bring the monks with him to return to the Stars.

These beliefs may be based on real events that either:
a) A meteor that crashed into Blackmoor, creating the Valley of the Ancients
b) The fall of the Peshwa deity Hadeen
c) The crashing of the space ship known as the FSS Beagle.
d) a combination of the above.

Looking at the game mechanics of the existing class, it is very similar to the standard 3E monk. The sourcebook says they are proficient with the spear-like weapon known as the Arbir which suggest they are of the Peshwa culture (Horse nomads), but the book does not require is class to have any particular cultural background.

Otherwise, these monks to not get the Ki Strike abilities, but instead get these abilities:
Divinity 1 (8th level) - 3/day: detect chaos , 1/day: Calm emotions , dispel chaos, hold person, magic circle against chaos, order's watch, protecton from chaos,
Divinty 2 (16th level) detect chaos is now at will, 3/day: Calm emotions 1/day), dispel chaos, hold person, magic circle against chaos, order's watch, protecton from chaos, 1/day: dictum, hold monster, shield of law

Looking back at the class I don't think it is particularly well designed. I do like the background though and the Divinity ability suggests more of a cleric/monk or perhaps The Astral Sight could work as a 5E replacement, or we could use the Way of the Four Elements, but replace the spells and abilities with more mental type spells?

Any ideas from the people here at the Comeback Inn?

-Havard

Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign