Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dave Arneson's Woodgrain D&D Set
Wayne's Books Wrote:Dave Arneson’s Woodgrain D&D set

Here is a story, and some photos, of a very special D&D Woodgrain set (credit: Marcelo Gonçalves)
“Hi Wayne, this is Marcelo, your customer from Brazil. I hope the you and your family are doing great. Happy new year for you guys. I went to a expo here in São Paulo, Brazil and found some relic D&D stuff. To took some pictures to send to you since I know you are fan of really vintage games. Dave Arneson came to Brazil during the 90’s to join the launch of D&D by Devir (local publisher). He became friend of the owner of the publisher and gave him some books of his personal collection as a gift. They are the ones in the pictures below. I don’t think they will sell, since I suspect the owner of the company passed away. So, I was amazed by seen some of those books here. Enjoy the pictures and have a great year. I’m a big fan of Wayne’s Book. Best regards.”

Quote:Dave Arneson D&D woodgrain set 4

Brazil, 1995

To Douglas

To a man, and a group that have shown that compassion knows no nationality and whose generosity matches that.

Dave Arneson

https://waynesbooks.games/2018/01/13/da ... ain-dd-set

This story about Dave going to Brazil sounds familiar somehow. But why would he help promote D&D in the 90s? An idea by the Brazillian company perhaps?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I am very curious about the context of the Brazil trip as well!
Waynes_Books Wrote:I am very curious about the context of the Brazil trip as well!

Hello Waynes_Books! Welcome to the Comeback Inn!

If you have the time and feel like it later you might want to introduce yourself to the rest of the community in the Hello Thread!

I know Greg Svenson mentioned that he remebered Dave going on this trip. I will ping him and see if he remebers anything else about it. Smile

BTW, thanks for the great service I have always gotten from your online store. You should add a link to it in your signature file Smile

-Havard
Havard Wrote:I know Greg Svenson mentioned that he remebered Dave going on this trip. I will ping him and see if he remebers anything else about it. Smile

That would be great!

Havard Wrote:BTW, thanks for the great service I have always gotten from your online store. You should add a link to it in your signature file Smile

Wonderful! I will do that.
I was thinking about Dave's trip to Brazil. My recollection was that the trip was when he was living in Florida and working at Full Sail University, so I may be thinking about a different trip, since you dated the trip where he gave your friend the box the in the 90's.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
Looks like I have just made contact with some people who might give us more information about both this D&D item and Dave's 1995 trip to Brazil. Will post about it here when I know more! Smile

-Havard
Fantastic news! Looking forward to the update.
How ever RPGs got marketed in Brazil it was done in such a manner that most there people saw Arneson as a significant, if not the most significant, person.

In Brazil, Arneson is a super star by comparison with anywhere else.

He tells some funny stories about it on the videos we have of dave.