Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Solomon Kane movie
Hey,

I just had the rare opportunity to watch the Solomon Kane movie with James Purefoy in the lead.

No time to post an entire review, just saying I recommend you go and buy the DVD.

It's vastly underrated and the best fantasy movie I have seen in years.

No LotR, of course, but ages better than Van Helsing, Eragon, or one the recent Dracula remakes.

Yours,

Rafe
I forgot it was out. Thanks for reminding me.
I got interested in Solomon Kane after picking up the excellent Savage Worlds RPG Sourcebook for it. I am definately going to check out the movie if I get the chance. Smile

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
It's nice to see someone recommending this film instead of trashing it. I haven't seen it myself, but I have high hopes for it (and for the Bran Mak Morn movie, too).

I don't mind if it's not based directly on Howard's stories so long as the spirit of the character is right.

I'd recommend that anyone interested in adventure fiction read some Solomon Kane stories... There is a knife-fight in "Blades of the Brotherhood" that made me scream out loud while reading it, the passage is so intense. 8)

Alfred
SK was the closest REH came to write real literature.

Consider me a fan. Smile
I have heard others comment on this film. Might have to netflix it and check it out.
I kept hoping that this movie would hit the theatres around here, but apparently not. I've been a huge Solomon Kane fan from way back ... I may even like him better than Conan! (It's a tough call. Conan is pretty awesome. I'm in luck, though since I don't actually have to choose.)

SK is an awesome "dark Paladin" in that he's always battling for good and the little guy, but his methods are sometimes a little unusual. 8)

I'm also one who bought the RPG but never got "into" Savage Worlds, so it mostly just sits on my shelf. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
The Savage Worlds book is beautiful and looks good on any gamer's shelf. I ran one scenario for my group; a Witch/Ghost themed adventure set on the York Shire moors.

I have yet to watch the film though. I will have to pick it up soon Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign