Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
[5E] Races for Blackmoor
Here's a quick attempt at converting 5E races to Blackmoor:
  • Dwarf: Dwarves live in the Crystal Peaks, Black Hills, Iron Hills, Stormkiller Mountains and Dragon Hills.
    • Dwarf, Mountain: Crystal Peaks and Stormkiller Mountains
    • Dwarf, Hill: Black Hills, Iron Hills and Dragon Hills.
  • Elf: Redwood and Westryn Realm.
    • Elf, High: I would use these as Cumasti (Redwood) elves.
    • Elf, Wood: I would use these for Westryn
    • Elf, Drow: Not allowed
  • Human: Common human cultures include Thonians, High Thonians, Skandaharians, Valemen, Peshwa, Frisians
  • Halfling: Halflings live in Booh.
    • Halfling, Stout: Maybe use these for Docrae?
    • Halfling, Hairfoot: Typical Boohfolk Halflings.
  • Gnome: Gnomes are found scattered around Blackmoor. Rock Gnomes are most common.
    • Gnome, Forest: These are mostly loyal citizens of the elven kingdoms.
    • Gnome, Rock: These are involved in Blackmoor's production of clockwork tech.
  • Half-Elf: Half-Elves exist, but only the Cumasti may reproduce with humans.
  • Half-Orc: Also represents all crossings between Humans and Beastman races.
  • Dragonborn: I would not allow these, but the 4E Blackmoor Sourcebook places them in the Dragon Hills.
  • Tiefling: I would not allow these, but the 4E Blackmoor Sourcebook offers some suggestions for Tieflings.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Is there room for unofficial stuff here, Havard?

If so, my two passes at races unique to Thorn's World That Was, on the blog:
The Soulbound Construct (think a bit-more-organic Warforged)
The Half-Sidhe
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
Havard, you mentioned hairfoot halflings, but those should probably be lightfoot. Based on the art and race descriptions for D20 and 4E Blackmoor, I would say the Docrae are lightfoots, and Blackmoor halflings are stouts, but only in terms of mechanics.

Their lore is obviously different, and Docrare are not halflings but "halfling-like" humanoids, so I suppose it might make sense to create a separate 5E race for the Docrae. But I would use the existing 5E halfling races as you have done. That is obviously much easier. :mrgreen:
RobJN Wrote:Is there room for unofficial stuff here, Havard?

If so, my two passes at races unique to Thorn's World That Was, on the blog:
The Soulbound Construct (think a bit-more-organic Warforged)
The Half-Sidhe

Yes, absolutely!

Brilliant work! Love the name Soulbound Construct by the way! Smile

-Havard
Greg Wrote:Havard, you mentioned hairfoot halflings, but those should probably be lightfoot.

LOL!

Yes, that is what I meant. There ought to be hairfoot haflings too though! Big Grin

Quote:Based on the art and race descriptions for D20 and 4E Blackmoor, I would say the Docrae are lightfoots, and Blackmoor halflings are stouts, but only in terms of mechanics.

I guess that is probably a better match. Good suggestion! Smile

Quote:Their lore is obviously different, and Docrare are not halflings but "halfling-like" humanoids, so I suppose it might make sense to create a separate 5E race for the Docrae. But I would use the existing 5E halfling races as you have done. That is obviously much easier. :mrgreen:

Yeah, I like to keep things simple. Smile

-Havard
I don't really know what the heck a tiefling is, except that it is supposed to be some kind of half or part demon/devil, like a cambion. (Why they didn't just call them cambions is beyond me). But there is some precedent for the half demon found in the Anakim of Adventures in Fantasy. So tiefling may not be totally alien to the setting, depending how you handle it.
When I ran my 5E game set in Blackmoor I let Tieflings come from the decadent slowly collapsing empire to the south. I had the Empire crumbling from within and it's Nobles summoning and fornicating with demons,since Tieflings are descended from Demons. Some of Blackmoors corrupt Nobles kept Tiefling servants as status symbols.
Mythlym Wrote:When I ran my 5E game set in Blackmoor I let Tieflings come from the decadent slowly collapsing empire to the south. I had the Empire crumbling from within and it's Nobles summoning and fornicating with demons,since Tieflings are descended from Demons. Some of Blackmoors corrupt Nobles kept Tiefling servants as status symbols.

Actually that is exactly the situation with the Great Kingdom in the world of Greyhawk - so that is a source you could readily got to/steal from if you needed to expand.