Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Ceramic decoration and the history of RPGs...
I read (on this site) that the scene for the original Temple of the Frog was prepared on a table with a ceramic frog (with the mouth open) that was property of Dave Arneson's mother (I may have some detail wrong, but it wouldn't be crucial for this post...).

Since then, thousands of players enjoyed the Temple of the Frog and its several successors (published and unpublished) during las forty-or-so years.

I wonder if Dave Arneson's mother had a ceramic cat instead of the frog... would we have a cat goddess (or whatever other ceramic decoration subject) instead of the frog at the centre of countless hours of play? Possibly. probably.

Sometimes a tiny circumstance can have a much much bigger impact on history than you'd ever expect!
I find this very curious and interesting...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Havard has organized some thoughts on the evolution of that particular adventure http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... llain.html
By the way, I don't know the name of Dave Arneson's mother, but I'd like to thank her for choosing that particular, frog shaped piece of ceramic.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
The frog was from her garden. I used to know, but I don't remember her name anymore. I want to say it was Harriet, but I am not sure.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign