Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Godlings in Blackmoor
Godling is a race in 4E, but as a concept it could work in any edition. Godlings are fragments of the essence of a slain God, reborn as humans. When Freedom92 asked about possible Godling PCs in his Blackmoor campaign, over at the Piazza, it got me thinking.

We know of two Gods who have been killed in Blackmoor's history. Temrin, the God of Time, killed by Thanatos is one. The other is Hadeen, God of the Peshwah. I think a character claiming to be born of the essence of one of these Gods could be a really interesting part of a campaign. The idea of a Peshwah Godling with origins tied to Hadeen could be especially interesting, perhaps turning into a kind of Prophet among that race.

With Temrin, I dont know. Would he be interested in fighting the cultists of Thanatos, or reviving the God that spawned him?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I was actually referring to the 3rd party class in pathfinder by Super Genius Games called the Godling, it is a class that makes a character seem like a god hero of Hellenic mythology. They gain abilities to represent their divinity within and comes from a variety to reflect thew multitude of the godlings of myth. I was not aware godlings were a race in 4th edition, interesting.

In the past I've used godlings in pathfnder as 'avatars' of a god, I could see Haaden being reborn in the body of a Peshwah and use his divine abilites as he gain more power to fight back or protect his people until he could return to godhood. I could write Temrin easily as a eldritch godling who was able to push a fragment of his self into time to drift until being inplanted to a perfect host. Then attempt to gain more power through slaying the cultist of Thanatos or through regained worship while researching how to regain divinity.
Ah, in that class from Super Genius Games sounds more like a kind of demi-God. The Wrath of the Immortals Boxed Set details a similar option for BECMI D&D (which is what I use for Blackmoor). In that case there is no need to limit ourselves to dead Gods. Any of the Gods could have fostered offspring with mortals in Blackmoor. Would the specific parentage affect the abilties and appearance of the Godling?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Ah, in that class from Super Genius Games sounds more like a kind of demi-God. The Wrath of the Immortals Boxed Set details a similar option for BECMI D&D (which is what I use for Blackmoor). In that case there is no need to limit ourselves to dead Gods. Any of the Gods could have fostered offspring with mortals in Blackmoor. Would the specific parentage affect the abilties and appearance of the Godling?

-Havard
The godling class ranges from clever, eldritch, mighty, and adept godlings. They cover the many aspects of half gods, though I'm interested i how an Immortals half god child would manifest, care to explain? This sounds interesting. The over all abilties and appearence might play into the choice of the godling type, the godling of the god of arcane might be eldritch while a god of war might be a mighty godling. I'd be interested to add a eldritch godling of the Outer Beings leading a cult against players.

What Immortals/Gods existed in Blackmoor? Did any of them not enjoy technology natural or unatural? Did the Outer Beings exist then as well?
Quote:With Temrin, I dont know.

Somewhat non-D&Dian, but I just could not think of anything else but

[Image: drwho.jpg]

as a jump-off point.
This is not the Spanish Announcers Table! Very immature! He spilled my diet soda!
Freedom92 Wrote:The godling class ranges from clever, eldritch, mighty, and adept godlings. They cover the many aspects of half gods,

Thanks for clarifying Smile

Quote:though I'm interested i how an Immortals half god child would manifest, care to explain? This sounds interesting. The over all abilties and appearence might play into the choice of the godling type, the godling of the god of arcane might be eldritch while a god of war might be a mighty godling. I'd be interested to add a eldritch godling of the Outer Beings leading a cult against players.

Wrath of the Immortals is fairly vague on the details of such "demi-Gods". They have higher ability scores than normal mortals, and usually have one unique spell-like ability like fly (wings for instance) at the cost of an XP penalty.

Quote:What Immortals/Gods existed in Blackmoor? Did any of them not enjoy technology natural or unatural?

The main opponents of technology in Blackmoor are the Ordo Elementaris. I would guess that the Elemental Gods worshipped by the elves would fall into the same category.

Here is a list of Immortals/Gods.

Quote:Did the Outer Beings exist then as well?

Outer Beings are actually a fan creation by Geoff Gander with some ground work by James Mishler. However the concept was used in at least one WotC publication later on. I think they fit really well within the Blackmoor framework as well. I have always seen the Egg of Coot as having links to the Outer Beings and the references to a Cthonian Age mentioned in Dungeons of Castle Blackmoor is also pretty suggestive of ancient evils having once ruled the surface of the planet.

-Havard
Thanks for the list of Immortals and interesting, the godling gets different things as they level up including divine aspects and other magical abilities. Also I can see the elemental gods against technology to a degree. I wasnt aware that the outer beings were not canon, I've always thought of Egg of Coot to be a physical manifestation of a Outer being that was broken off before full manifestation and became sentient eventually rising to the surface using its god like powers to create its own kingdom to mirror that of mortals creation. The spawns of coot are it budding making more minor entities to spread madness and boost 'coot technomancy'. I've thought of how old magic works, its a two layer thing. When Coot manifested a physical form it became a large cancerous sore that warped magic, the demonic taint resulted in botched magic from attempting conjuration in a warped part of the leylines resulting in more taint. What does the Cthonian Age mean to Blackmoor? I'm guessing a time of primeval aberrant evolution where life was beginning from a mixed genetic cocktail.