Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Sildonis, the Wizard of the Wood
Can anyone provide me any historical info about Sildonis and his predecessor, the Wizards of the Wood? Any idea of the timeline when the original Wizard of the Wood disappeared and when Sildonis took over the role? Did Uther stay a year with the 2nd Wizard of the Wood or the first? Were they elves?
Wow, that's really an expert question.

As far as I recall - but I don't have my books on me right now - the origin of the term "Wizard of the Wood" is never explained,
and Uther's and Sildonis' backstory is never explained/you really have to go to semi-canon sources to find that out.

Now, what I did in MY game was that I made the WotW a hereditary title for the highest-ranking human
mage in the Barony of Vestfold. Also, while my campaign rarely even took place in Blackmoor itself,
it was easy for me not to dwell on that too much. It was always pretty clear to me that the wizard was a man,
not an elf, though.

I also added a title called "Wizard of the Vale", for the lord of the wizard's tower in the Valley of the Ancients,
which was, of course, Robert the Bald.

I am sorry for not being able to answer your question better, but perhaps this gives you a few ideas on how to go on with it. Smile
Hello Red Sonia! Welcome to the Comeback Inn. Feel free to introduce yourselves to the others in the Hello Thread. Smile

You have some great questions! Only two individuals are known to have held the title of Wizard of the Wood. The first was Pete (Played by Pete Gaylord) and the second was Sildonis. They were both human, but Sildonis in particular is noted to be a friend of elves. It is not known exactly what being the Wizard of the Woods entails, but the requirement seems to at the minimum be master of the Wizard's Wood, a woodland area just a few miles east of Blackmoor Town. This is also where the tower of the Wizard of the Wood is located.

It seems likely that Pete became the Wizard of the Woods in 996 NC. He perished during the first expeditions to the Valley of the Ancients around 998-999. Sildonis became the Wizard of the Woods somewhere between 1002-1005 by clearing out the dark and sinister place that Pete's Woods had become.

Some more details on the original Wizard of the Woods can be found here.

I am not sure about Uther's upbringing. I know he stayed with the Peshwah for a while. Could you point me to the reference about him spending time with the Wizard of the Woods?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I suspect that the Wizard's Wood is some kind of nexus point to the Fey Realm. Whoever holds the position of the Wizard of the Wood seems to have command over Pixies, Treants (Ents) and other Sylvan creatures. Perhaps he is some kind of gatekeeper to the Fey Realm?

-Havard
Havard Wrote:I suspect that the Wizard's Wood is some kind of nexus point to the Fey Realm. Whoever holds the position of the Wizard of the Wood seems to have command over Pixies, Treants (Ents) and other Sylvan creatures. Perhaps he is some kind of gatekeeper to the Fey Realm?

-Havard

I don't see it that way. I don't think there is a "fey realm" in Blackmoor. The Wizards Wood is a creepy enchanted wood wherein the superberry trees grow. The wizard who is able to master leaving and entering the wood gains access to the berries and all the wealth and power that distilling the berries grants. It is a powerful, magical wood for sure, but I don't see it being any kind of gateway.
Thanks so much. That really does help. I'll be back when I find the reference about Uther staying with the Wizard of the Wood.
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I suspect that the Wizard's Wood is some kind of nexus point to the Fey Realm. Whoever holds the position of the Wizard of the Wood seems to have command over Pixies, Treants (Ents) and other Sylvan creatures. Perhaps he is some kind of gatekeeper to the Fey Realm?

I don't see it that way. I don't think there is a "fey realm" in Blackmoor. The Wizards Wood is a creepy enchanted wood wherein the superberry trees grow. The wizard who is able to master leaving and entering the wood gains access to the berries and all the wealth and power that distilling the berries grants. It is a powerful, magical wood for sure, but I don't see it being any kind of gateway.

Both are valid interpretations, but mine is cooler Wink

Arneson makes no references to a Fey Realm, but the FFC specifies that the Wizard of the Woods commands Pixies and other Sylvan creatures. It seems likely that they obey him because of his position. It also seems equally likely that the position of Wizard of the Wood is linked to the mastery of the Wood itself. Because of this, I am convinced that the Wizards Wood is a place of power for the Fey.

As to a Fey Realm, it is a common element in Fairy mythology. Blackmoor also borrows heavily from Arthurian myths, so this fits well with the concept of a Avalon.

Superberries dont play much of a role in my Blackmoor as I find the idea pretty silly. Dont get me wrong, I totally see where that idea is coming from, but I prefer a fairly serious, mythologically loaded Blackmoor with more light-hearted or humorous elements moved way into the background.

YMMV

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Superberries dont play much of a role in my Blackmoor as I find the idea pretty silly. Dont get me wrong, I totally see where that idea is coming from, but I prefer a fairly serious, mythologically loaded Blackmoor with more light-hearted or humorous elements moved way into the background.

YMMV

-Havard

The real origin is pretty silly, but i think the concept of a mystical fuit bearing tree that somehow condenses and thrives on the deep magical current suffuzing the land of Blackmoor is very cool and mythic. Perhaps if you thought of it under a different name....
Aldarron Wrote:The real origin is pretty silly, but i think the concept of a mystical fuit bearing tree that somehow condenses and thrives on the deep magical current suffuzing the land of Blackmoor is very cool and mythic. Perhaps if you thought of it under a different name....

I agree! Under a different name this could work very well Smile

-Havard
Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Superberries dont play much of a role in my Blackmoor as I find the idea pretty silly. Dont get me wrong, I totally see where that idea is coming from, but I prefer a fairly serious, mythologically loaded Blackmoor with more light-hearted or humorous elements moved way into the background.

YMMV

-Havard

The real origin is pretty silly, but i think the concept of a mystical fuit bearing tree that somehow condenses and thrives on the deep magical current suffuzing the land of Blackmoor is very cool and mythic. Perhaps if you thought of it under a different name....

No worries, mate.

Has been done before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUNoy0Qub0