Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Distance and scale on the maps
Hi I'm new here, so I hope I'm asking this in the right place... I've played D&D on an off over the years, ever since 1979 actually, and recently started planning a new campaign using the 3rd edition rules and some books from Dave Arneson's Blackmoor (2004-2006) that I happened to pick up used. Anyway, I've been gathering various resources here and there, and I noticed a discrepancy in the maps. It looks like the big map in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor scales distances at about half of what I've found on some other maps, meaning in some versions of the map it might be 100 miles from point A to point B, whereas in DAB, it might be about 50 miles. Is one of these a typo? Is the newer scale the official version now? Maybe it doesn't matter which version I choose, but I figured I should go with the consensus, if there is one.

Thanks,
Corey
Hi!
In the First Fantasy Campaign (Judges Guild, 1980), the book I go by as the "Great Tome" in my campaign, the scale is 1 hex = 10 miles.
In DA1 Adventures in Blackmoor the colour maps have a scale of 1 hex = 24 miles. Confusedhock:
As for later books on Blackmoor, I don't know as well.
You'll have to pick a scale for your own campaign an adhere to it.
There's been some discussion of the map scales on the forums, but I can't find the thread. Here are two threads on The Piazza where we discussed this:

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/thepiazza/b ... =24&t=3556

http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/thepiazza/b ... =24&t=3402

The second thread is referenced in the first, but because of a change of server at The Piazza the link doesn't work, so I've posted the url for you.

Basically, DA1 and 24 miles/hex is wrong, DA2 points this out:

Quote:The scale on the DA Blackmoor maps should be 12 miles per hex as per DA2, Page 12, Middle Column, Second Paragraph

"The trip to the City of the Frog takes 10 days, and consists of three legs. If you have a copy of module DA1 (Adventures in Blackmoor), you can use its color map of The Northlands to trace the voyage and can modify the route take if desired. Note that this map's scale is 12 (not 24) miles per hex. If you don't own DA1, measure the voyage in days and legs as outlined below."

Dave's 1977 map, which is exactly the same as the DA maps, uses 10 miles, which makes it 4 times the size of the Wilderlands maps. So basically you can choose either 10 or 12 miles, whichever best fits your campaign, and ignore the 24 miles.

Check out my flickr maps to see my reproduction of the various official maps. You'll need to click 'More Sets' to see the Blackmoor folder.
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Thanks! Great answers!
Hello Jcbutler! Welcome to the Comeback Inn! Feel free to introduce yourself to the gang over in the Hello Thread if you want Smile

Good question by the way. Dave L is the man to ask about maps around these parts Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign