Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
bridge to nowhere
On Fins board, under a topic marked "Guns, Firearms, and modern Mayhem" Dave wrote "Yes I have done S&S several times. Where did you think the tank parked in front Svenny's freehold came from.

To get there you can either take the 'bridge to nowhere, o jump out of The Comeback Inn while it is in transit. Well those are the 'easy' ways. ;-) "

I don't recall a "bridge to nowhere" - anybody know what the deal is with that?
Link man, link Smile

http://odd74.proboards.com/index.cgi?bo ... hread=4455

Dave Arneson Wrote:The pictures were great. I was an ACW re-enactor myself. Yes I have done S&S several times. Where did you think the tank parked in front Svenny's freehold came from.

To get there you can either take the 'bridge to nowhere, o jump out of The Comeback Inn while it is in transit. Well those are the 'easy' ways. ;-)

Dave Arneson
"Dark Lord of Gaming"

Just had to check the entire quote. I have never heard of this one either. I don't think it is mentioned in the FFC, and certainly not in the DA series.

Very interesting!

Google comes up with a number of results. Could it mean this one:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoan_Bridge

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I fixed your quote, Havard. It was missing some syntax so wasn't displaying properly.

I'll admit that I'm not familar with the tank either. Must have been some smaller side-quest. Hopefuly Svenny can shed some light on this. Smile
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
finarvyn Wrote:I fixed your quote, Havard. It was missing some syntax so wasn't displaying properly.

I'll admit that I'm not familar with the tank either. Must have been some smaller side-quest. Hopefuly Svenny can shed some light on this. Smile

Thanks Fin!

The Tank is old news Wink
Basically it is linked to a couple of adventures where Arneson put the Blackmoor characters up against WWII Japanese or German forces (two separate scenarios). One is referred to in an old issue of Strategic review. Basically one of the guys (Richard Snider possibly) dragged a tank back from the encounter and placed it outside Svenny's Freehold.

However, the Bridge to Nowhere is something I cannot recall. I will have to look at those issues of Strategic Review and see if I can find it mentioned there.

-Havard
Brain cramp. I do recall the tank, now that you refresh my memory about it. :oops:
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=474

I knew that, and I worked it into the game.
Rafael Wrote:http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewt...f=21&t=474

I knew that, and I worked it into the game.

That's certainly one interpretation.

Using the Mystara link, I might suggest that this is the fabled Rainbow Bridge, used by the elves. This could be the same means of travel used by the elven Ordo Elementarum for their planar travels. That makes sense actually.

Alterantively, this secret could be found in the capital of the Duchy of the Peaks...

-Havard
Rainbow bridge? Like the one into Asgard? Doesn't seem quite the same but I dunno. Somehow I picture a bridge, shrouded in fog so you can't see the other side. or maybe a bridge that looks only half finished (lots of such "
bridges to nowhere" on US Highways) but once you are on it you can actually cross to another side.
Aldarron Wrote:Rainbow bridge? Like the one into Asgard? Doesn't seem quite the same but I dunno. Somehow I picture a bridge, shrouded in fog so you can't see the other side. or maybe a bridge that looks only half finished (lots of such "
bridges to nowhere" on US Highways) but once you are on it you can actually cross to another side.

I like your visuals. I think it makes sense to tie this in with whatever the Elven Elementalists (Ordo Elementarum) are doing though, at least in the context of my project of tying the D20 material closer to the 70s stuff.

-Havard