Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Avian Spaceship
So Havard posted a snipet from Greg in the ODD74 forum timeline thread.

this bit caught my attention:

"two rival empires lost scout ships there. Neither was from the Ursoid Republic (one was human - from Steve Rocheford's [think Saint Stephan from Temple of the Frog] minor human empire and the other avian from Scott Belfry's avian empire). "

Now, Correct me if I'm wrong but, I'm under the impression that the city of the gods is the spaceship Saint Stephen arrived on. So, where are the avians?
We had kind or a joint gaming session with Scott Belfry leading the avian scouting party encountering a group of Blackmoor players - I don't remember who was there, for sure the Snider brothers and maybe Dave Arneson, Dave Megarry and Bob Meyer, in addition to Scott and myself. John Snider was the DM/referee. The only detail I remember is that one of the players recovered a cloak that allowed the wearer to fly (it seems that the avians had lost their natural ability to fly as they advanced technologicly, so they built a technological way to fly). I don't remember what happened to their scout ship.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A.E. van Vogt ,origin of the Displacer beast, the Beagle and allegedly the plot of the film Alien, has an encounter with the avian Riim so that could do as a placeholding name.

The Ursoid Republic sounds like fun!
Avian aliens. Wow. Confusedhock: I'm just awed by the potential visual of such a thing.

Ursoid Republic was in the mall next to Banana Republic. Wink
DungeonDevil Wrote:Avian aliens. Wow. Confusedhock: I'm just awed by the potential visual of such a thing.

I was thinking something like Babylon 5's Centauri or Marvel's Shi'ar for the Avians, although possibly even more bird-like, especially considering the details about the wings mentioned by Greg.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Anybody remember the hawk man from the Buck Rodgers tv show? Not quite what I picture for the Avians but maybe not a bad source of inspiration for some of the character.
Aldarron Wrote:Anybody remember the hawk man from the Buck Rodgers tv show? Not quite what I picture for the Avians but maybe not a bad source of inspiration for some of the character.

That was from the second-season-which-should-never-be-spoken-of. Wink
I like the idea of bird-people. I wonder if we could link them to that bird-race from the Creature Catalog. I forget their name.

Don't the Wilderlands have various bird-like races as well?

-Havard
I have a memory of a bird-race in one of the D&D monster books (MM2 or FF) called the Kenku, though they were depicted as smallish, IIRC.
DungeonDevil Wrote:I have a memory of a bird-race in one of the D&D monster books (MM2 or FF) called the Kenku, though they were depicted as smallish, IIRC.

Kenku are a birdlike race from Japanese myths. IIRC they were the ones who taught the Ninjas how to fight.

Mystara has a race called Gyerians which are a little more silly, only semi intelligent flightless humanoid avians.

Also, I came across this image:

http://paizo.com/image/product/catalog/ ... 6_500.jpeg

-Havard