Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Asian cultures in Blackmoor?
Are there any references to Asian cultures in any Blackmoor material or accounts of Blackmoor games? Gygax' campaign had "China". Did Blackmoor have anything similar?

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
My sense of Blackmoor, early blackmoor anyway, is that, unlike Greyhawk, it is an otherwordly kind of place with no real copycat cultures, I was kind of getting at that in the ODD74 board with my comments on Arnesons 1977 FFC artwork which has a decidely un european feel. The cultures there have similarities to a number of real world cultures but usually not just one. IMHO
Aldarron Wrote:My sense of Blackmoor, early blackmoor anyway, is that, unlike Greyhawk, it is an otherwordly kind of place with no real copycat cultures, I was kind of getting at that in the ODD74 board with my comments on Arnesons 1977 FFC artwork which has a decidely un european feel. The cultures there have similarities to a number of real world cultures but usually not just one. IMHO

I don't know man. Those illustrations aside, I am getting a fairly medieval european wibe from most of Blackmoor. Of course there are exceptions, like the Peshwa, the Afridhi, maybe even the Peaks...

Havard
Well, the names are all sorta Scottish and the political structure is definetly medieval, but then you've got the EGG, and robots, and aliens, and tarns, and pleasure slaves, and the Ran of Ah Foo, and the superberrie forest, and a cult of frog worshippers in a giant temple in the shape of a frog. Jeesh, I'm tellin' ya Blackmoor is one weird place! Wink
Wilderlands has the Kingdom of Karak south of BM (and Thonia), which is basically the empire of the Golden Horde.
Rafael Wrote:Wilderlands has the Kingdom of Karak south of BM (and Thonia), which is basically the empire of the Golden Horde.

Good point. I believe there are also some influences from India to Karak right? Still Asian of course.

Well, cool Smile

Havard