Poll: What Happened to Marfeltd?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Expired, Dead, Ceased to Function
0 0%
Plotting the Eggs destruction and will someday emerge for an epic battle
0 0%
Captured and controled by the Egg
0 0%
Off maurading distant lands having turned his back on Blackmoor etc.
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
What happend to Marfeldt?
Marfeltd "The Barbarian" was a wizards creation that took matters into his own hands. Warrior extraordinaire, short of temper, and very disciplined, he kills all who offend him and converts those to his way of thinking who stay too long in his presence. Marfeldt swore to destroy the Egg, and has apparently not been heard from since. What has become of him?
He'll be back... Wink

I think having him dead and gone is the boring option, but the other three all have potential. I have alot of ideas for this character and I might post them later, but for now I'll wait and see if anyone else has any thoughts...

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I think that Marfeldt was being loud and drunken outside my home once and he invited himself in to continue drinking...

For some reason I could not deny his charisma and everything got trashed. Tongue

On a serious note, I agree with Havard, it's no fun to have Marfeldt dead. His being controlled by the EGG would be a horrible thing to happen. He always reminded me a bit of Groo, so I think he must be wandering somewhere. Big Grin

Alfred
In our continuity, Marfeldt is a duke among the nobles of Rhun, in the "lands beyond the veil", means, Rhun itself is located on another plane of existence...
Interesting Rafe, very interesting... Wink

Alfred: The comparison to Groo is not too far off! :lol: IMC I potray Marfeldt as a cross between Conan and Achilles. He has both the epic destiny and sense of self reliance that Conan has and the element of being surrounded by myths and seeming invincibility of Achilles.

David Ross has some further ideas about this character that I use as a basis for my campaign. They can be found in his Blackmoor Gazetteer...

Havard
Havard Wrote:David Ross has some further ideas about this character that I use as a basis for my campaign. They can be found in his Blackmoor Gazetteer...

I haven't gotten a chance to dig into that yet, but it looks very comprehensive. Perhaps after I get home from work this morning I'll put my Russian history for a bit. It will probably give me yet more ideas and then I'll end up preparing a Blackmoor campaign, eheheheh Big Grin

Alfred
David Ross' Blackmoor Gazetteer is highly recommended. Rumour has it that even the ZGG folks used it as a reference.

Here's what one of the appendixes say about Marfeldt:

Quote:Marfeldt

Marfeldt, the so-called "last anarchist", earned enough trust to be considered a "friend of the Regency Council" (DA1 p. 33), even a "friend of the King" (DA1 p. 36). He was also tapped for the expedition to the City of the Gods (DA3 p.7-8). His actions in the past will one day rank him among the King’s Companions (DA1 p. 28).

Marfeldt "has been a fixture in the Northlands for many years now" (he ranks with Mello, Willem, and Svenny as one of the oldest rogues in the region), but he was not born there. From his aspect and his name - and because he speaks a Goblin dialect - he is highly suspected of being a Norlander. If this is true, he very probably left the wild country because of the Egg’s tyranny, for he is at heart a lover of anarchy. There is a contrary story that "he killed the Wizard who created him during a friendly wrestling match" "about a year" before he first came to Blackmoor (JG p. 15).

Some months later, Marfeldt earned a vile reputation in the Duchy of the Peaks, where they blame him for the slaughter of no less than 30% the population. Other rumours - and a devastating written text from the so-called Archives of Rhun - have blamed him for the downfall of an entire civilization across the North Sea. After a brief stint in Blackmoor, he wandered around to the south, where he may have caused a degree of civil strife in a few Thonian provinces, returning just in time for the Great Rebellion.

As a result, the Egg’s recent alliance with the Afridhi has the Fetch very concerned. This alliance has been planted on the common ground between Fire and Entropy - disorder. It has just occurred to the Fetch that Blackmoor now harbours a very powerful citizen who believes in disorder for its own sake. Of course, neither the Egg nor Zugzul view disorder (or each other) as aught but a tool. Marfeldt has assured the King that he is very aware of this.

The Plan

What he has not told the King is that he has a plan of his own, through all these divine machinations. He has met with Children of Zug worried for their future, and with the mad and powerful mage Gul Hadda.

To further this plan, Marfeldt has elected to join the Afridhi anyway. With his charisma, his support for Zug, and his non-Thonian ancestry, he is the ideal adventurer-captain of the new Afridhi army. But one must always remember what manner of man is Marfeldt... "never a servant... only an ally".

Whatever the outcome of the war (about which, they secretly care little), Marfeldt, Gul Hadda, and the clerics of Zug plan to clean out the Wizard’s Watch and conduct in it a bizarre and twisted ceremony. They seek a way to solidify the Doctrine of Disorder... a way to bind the two gods to their marriage of convenience for all eternity.

This is not as laughable as it might seem. Zugzul has been forced to permit certain Children of Zug clerical powers - even if they be used in ways Zugzul did not anticipate. A change in belief among the faithful can change the very aspect of their God. Finally, even a chaotic God must be bound by certain oaths. The most powerful oath a God can swear, is an oath sworn on the afterlife of His believers. A God who broke such an oath, would end up breaking His Heaven and Hell, releasing millions of subject souls (loyal and divinely punished) into the voids. It is unclear if an Immortal could survive such a catastrophe. Certainly none is known. Drain the Styx, and down falls Olympus.

Therefore, Zugzul and the Egg can be manipulated, if a mortal is tricky enough to do so.

Few mortals have successfully tricked the gods; such that have are mentioned only in the murkiest of legends. But if there was ever a rogue charismatic (and reckless) enough to do so... it is Marfeldt. And if he succeeds, he will be well on his way to his own Immortality.

This is pretty much what I am doing with Marfeldt IMC as well...

Havard