The before Thonia world of Blackmoor
Here is another relevant thread:
http://blackmoor.mystara.us/forums/viewtopic.php?t=267

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
This map is the best point to start, IMO:

[Image: BlackmoorRegionalMapWL.jpg]
That is one awsome map. For my taste though its a bigger world than I imagine an old school Blackmoor to be. I'd be inclined to chop off everything below elphand land and kingdom of Karak. Somehow, the city of greyhawk an the great kingdom, perhaps Khalibrun, should fit in that spot. I'm going to tinker with this and see what I can dig up. Thanks guys.
Aldarron Wrote:That is one awsome map.

Thanks! And thanks to Rafe for posting it. That's another map in need of some updating though...

Quote: For my taste though its a bigger world than I imagine an old school Blackmoor to be. I'd be inclined to chop off everything below elphand land and kingdom of Karak.

Then you won't like the fact that I am working on an even bigger map.... Wink

The main reason I included the lands south of Elphand Land is that I wanted to include the entire Wilderlands Setting. The size of Thonia is based on the fact that Thonia is supposed to be made up of 10 provinces, each the size of the Blackmoor map.

Quote: Somehow, the city of greyhawk an the great kingdom, perhaps Khalibrun, should fit in that spot. I'm going to tinker with this and see what I can dig up. Thanks guys.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Dan! Is there a map of Khalibrun available (Lord Robilar are you reading this?) anywhere? Smile I have also toyed with incorporating large chunks of the GH setting, including a certain Free City. More details on that in my discussions about the EagleDark Setting...

Havard
See, what I'm thinking is that Flaneas/World of Greyhawk has its Blackmoor and Tenh etc. based on the early games shared between Gygax and Arnesons groups, and from that the WoG folks developed their version of Blackmoor etc. so why shouldn't Blackmoor have its own version of Greyhawk and the Great Kingdom? Tit for Tat right?
Aldarron Wrote:See, what I'm thinking is that Flaneas/World of Greyhawk has its Blackmoor and Tenh etc. based on the early games shared between Gygax and Arnesons groups, and from that the WoG folks developed their version of Blackmoor etc. so why shouldn't Blackmoor have its own version of Greyhawk and the Great Kingdom? Tit for Tat right?

Sounds like we have pretty similar ideas there Dan! Smile

I think that is very reasonable.

I was talking to Rafael and he drew up alot of realms that already are parallell in the settings. Rafe which realms/cultures did you mention?

Which GH realms would most likely be left out?

Havard
Great Kingdom = RJK's campaign setting for Maze of Zayene.

Bakluni = Peshwah

Duchy of Ten = Duchy of Tenh

Frost Barbarians = Skandaharian territory

Smile

How much of this however was part of which campaign in the end, or a collaborative creation, I DON'T KNOW.

Basically:

North of WoG map = Arneson

Middle = Gygax

West = Jeff Perrren (?)

East = Major Kookie

South =Lakofka
Rafael Wrote:Great Kingdom = RJK's campaign setting for Maze of Zayene.

Bakluni = Peshwah

Duchy of Ten = Duchy of Tenh

Frost Barbarians = Skandaharian territory

Smile

How much of this however was part of which campaign in the end, or a collaborative creation, I DON'T KNOW.

Basically:

North of WoG map = Arneson

Middle = Gygax

West = Jeff Perrren (?)

East = Major Kookie

South =Lakofka

Excellent!

Didnt you have an equivalent pinned down for the Afridhi as well?

According to Rob Kuntz, Dave Arneson was the first to really incorporate information from the other campaigns when he referenced King Robert and the Great Kingdom which was Rob's campaign.

From what I understand, GH's Tenh and Blackmoor were both names Gygax borrowed from Arneson.

Havard
Hmmm...
I am currently working on a map combining my older version (which includes the Wilderlands) and a map of Greyhawk. In it I am noticing the following correspondances:

Aerdy =>Thonia
Nyrond => Karak
Free City/Greyhawk =>City State of the Invincible Overlord...

These were just coincidental, but the last one made me go "Whoah"!

Havard

Edit: Also, Emire of Iuz=>Afridhi Empire :twisted:
Havard Wrote:Edit: Also, Emire of Iuz=>Afridhi Empire :twisted:

Could work, since it's essentially also about an evil theocracy.

Though I believe Iuz was a Gygaxian creation.