• 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Hello Thread!
Hi there Makofan! Great hearing from you Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hey guys!

I'm a young gamer raised on the new style of gaming. Recently I came across some play reports and rules from a session somebody played with Dave Arrneson. I've always bucked against traditional methods, finding them archaic and strange. However, after reading that play report I've been intrigued and found myself wanting to learn more about OD&D and the Arnesonian way. That lead me here or more specifically to the rules part of your forum.
Iolani Wrote:Hey guys!

I'm a young gamer raised on the new style of gaming. Recently I came across some play reports and rules from a session somebody played with Dave Arrneson. I've always bucked against traditional methods, finding them archaic and strange. However, after reading that play report I've been intrigued and found myself wanting to learn more about OD&D and the Arnesonian way. That lead me here or more specifically to the rules part of your forum.

Hello Iolani!

Great having you on board! I think one thing any edition of D&D has in common is that people sitting down with it are planning on having fun. Hope you find what you are looking for here! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Hi, Iolani.

Personally it seems really weird to me labelling 'old style' gaming as 'traditional'. Smile

Tradition isn't what WE do, it's what old people in their forties and fifties go on about.

Oh wait, that's me now. Doh! :oops:

I don't think anyone thought they were making tradition at the time - it was a a breath of fresh air.
Played properly, it still is. As Havard said, it's all about having fun! Smile
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Thanks guys!

Perhaps traditional is not the best way to describe it but it is the only word I can think of...Maybe conventional wisdom? Anyway, I'm intrigued by the vast differences between the two co-creators and I must say that I'm most intrigued by Dave's game.

As a side note, how many of you guys actually play in Blackmoor using Blackmoorish rules?
Seriously, how old are you? Smile

I am 29, and I think I am our community's spring chicken.

...Which is kind of unsettling.
Rafael Wrote:Seriously, how old are you? Smile

I am 29, and I think I am our community's spring chicken.

...Which is kind of unsettling.

You'd be six years my senior.
That is disturbing, I could be your father.
Ah, I mean... Do you actually run a BM game, or is it just overall interest in the topic?

What kind of advice are you looking for, exactly? Smile
Hey guys, I was going to update this thread anyway, but, for now,
why don't you try this little quiz?

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1941&p=14638#p14638

A nice and rather short way to find out more about our different - yet similar - tastes in gaming. Smile