Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Questions on FFC Printings & Blackmoor
jasmith Wrote:If I were going to run a Blackmoor campaign, what other material would you highly recommend procuring? I'd be running OD&D, or maybe AD&D, but stuff from later editions is fine by me, so long as it has quality setting material.
Havard Wrote:It depends on whether you are looking for rules bits or more of an overview of the setting. For rules contents, the DA modules are easy to use with OD&D or AD&D. DA1 is a good starting point.

If you arent allergic to 3E material, I do recommend the Dave Arneson's Blackmoor Campaign Guide, preferably the softcover, but the hardback also works. Since you are using TSR era rules, many of the rules bits of the book wont be very useful to you, but I still think the book makes for a great introduction to the setting, greatly complementing what is found in the FFC.
I'm an early edition "snob" and like to put my Blackmoor in a FFC-based rules set, with TotF from Blackmoor Supplement II and Dragons at Dawn.

Havard is more "into" the newer material than I. If I add more stuff it's mostly the Judges Guild Wilderlands material since it kind of works with the FFC. (Dave adjusted his maps and such to fit with the Wilderlands.)

Robert Conley has put out some Blackmoor-like material as well. What I've seen is pretty good stuff.

Personally, I put less faith in the DA series modules, even less in the 3E products, much less in the 4E book. I own them all, you understand, but like my Blackmoor more "pure" than some of the others here. :lol:

I'd say start with the FFC and see what happens. If you want to expand there is a wealth of Blackmoor goodness out there! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]

Messages In This Thread