Poll: Which Blackmoor Resources did you first start out with?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1970s material (FFC, SuppII, DW)
4 100.00%
DA series or Mystara material
0 0%
ZGG D20 Line Products
0 0%
ZGG/CMP 4E First Campaign
0 0%
Other (Specify in post)
0 0%
Total 4 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Which BM Resources did you first start out with?
finarvyn Wrote:So, in my biased viewpoint, Blackmoor becomes more "canon" as it gets closer to the original source material. The Twin City version would be the ultimate Blackmoor for me, closely followed by the Supplement II / FFC version, then the DA modules, then 3E stuff is a ways back, and finally 4E at the bottom. I know that others view things very differently (cough ... Havard ... cough) and that's fine, but I know what I like. 8)

I have another rule when it comes to "canon": Whatever is the coolest is what I will use for my campaign. I tend to like the more structured post 70s presentation of RPG material as a starting point for any setting. The FFC is great, but having been introduced to gaming in the 80s, I would be totally lost if that was my first introduction to Blackmoor. I want maps, timelines, overview of cultures and all that stuff first.

The FFC doesnt offer any of that to be honest (well maps, yes), but it is a gold mine when it comes to learning how the campaign played out, as well as fantastic ideas and concepts, many of which were not brought over in the later material.

My own game is probably very different from what Dave Arneson played, but I think I do stay true to the themes he built on, which is the core of his legacy.

My final thought on sources, is that if it is published and linked to Blackmoor, I will use it over something that someone posts on a forum. "Canon" is a term which usually leads to flame wars, but published material is what creates a common framework between fans who meet on the internet. This is one of the reasons why I will focus on everything rather than just parts of what has been published.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign

Messages In This Thread