Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Maps
Havard Wrote:This is pretty interesting. I dont remember exactly which method I used for determining the size of the Wilderlands area, but remember that different versions of the Wilderlands operate with different sizes per hex. Apparently Bob Bledsaw himself used 15 miles per hex for his original Wilderlands campaign. More on this here:
http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=490650&page=3
I think I saw that thread when I was looking at the whole 12/24 mile confusion between DA1 and DA4. I have to admit I'd never thought of playing a map at a scale different from the one printed on it!

Obviously, change the scale and the sums all change too.

I did think 5 mile per hex was quite a small scale for the main campaign maps. I think it's too big for tactical use though - villages, lairs, forest clearing ambush sites, ruined towers - all those things can fit together in a single 5 mile hex. 1 mile per hex is much better, and even then Thunder Rift looks a little crowded. Smile

Given that, the Mystara maps are only 8 miles/hex and have worked well for years.

Perhaps that's why so many create their own worlds - they can do whatever they like then, and ignore those who don't like it.

Hmm, now there's a thought .... :wink:

Messages In This Thread