Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Do you run the adventures that you download?
I just read the below in a thread about a great author that got an adventure published and then never had any real evidence that other people actually played that adventure in thirteen years (while the adventure had several thousand downloads):
Rafael Wrote:this is the very first in-detail report I’ve been getting in thirteen years. (Not complaining, just saying…)
This resonates with me as, like many amateur, I published some amateur adventures (in amateur websites, not in official publications like the author quoted above), I know that many people downloaded them and I got no comment about them. I only know that people kept downloading the new amateur adventures I published in that same amateur website, but I think I will never know if they were ever played (by some roleplaying group not involving myself). I asked the webmaster of that reputable website that published "quality" amateur adventures and he told me to set my expectations about getting feedback as low as I can: usually, if you get any feedback at all, it involves swearwords and death threats.

Said that, I would like to try to understand if downloading adventures (after paying them or not) is becoming a kind of compulsive disorder that doesn't actually involve playing them or if you read what you download and, if you like it, you run it or you ask somebody else to run it for you.
I'm saying this also in connection to the absolutely egregious initiative of publishing the MMRPG on they website: there are precious little comments or requests for suggestions / help that may make you think that people is actually playing the MMRPG, after having it downloaded (for free).
I think that RPG authors write their adventures to be (role)played and not to be entombed in a hard disk, never to be played.
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.

Messages In This Thread