Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
5 Reasons Why Building a Blackmoor Community is Hard
No, Finarvyn, I don't think you've stirred up new controversy. As I've been learning much more about the origins of D&D, it's abundantly clear that many people played a role in its development, both literally and figuratively.

Dave and Gary played the biggest roles, and Dave was clearly the innovator and the person who created the initial game and concept that would become D&D. His players were also instrumental in helping establish fantasy role playing and how the game is played and judged to this day.

Gary seemed to drive much of the more formal process of codifying rules, publishing the game, and building a successful business around it. Others also played roles on that side.

Of course, things got much more complicated once different ideas, visions and especially money came into play, and the two co-creators parted ways. The rest is sometimes ugly and is subject to debate, but you can't deny the crucial role that both Dave and Gary played. I hope the forthcoming documentaries will also enlighten more people about the roles played by those first Blackmoor players and other lesser-known individuals who had a hand in the game's early history.

Messages In This Thread