Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Want to Play a Blackmoor Game with Bob Meyer?
Rowell the Blade Wrote:
klintron Wrote:Raef: I'm not trying to prove I'm smarter than anyone. All I did was wonder whether Bob's recollection meant that there were hit points in Blackmoor earlier than anyone had previously thought.

Hey, Klintron!

I apologize if the post above read as if I was counting you to the people I mentioned; that's certainly not the case, and I appreciate your contributions to the boards. I had to make the very crass distinction, though, in the paragraph that followed my mention of your name, because the internet has lately been ablaze with outright hate against some of the more well-known members of the oldschool community. And, like Bob, many others are quite simply irritated, especially because the people harassing them claim to have some sort of "leadership" in the community. (If something as this even exists.)

robertthebald Wrote:This all weighs heavily on me, because this is more than the evolving of a game, and a game genre. We are talking about a group of friends that grew up together.

Yeah, absolutely. It's a shame that the interpersonal - the personal - aspect of the FFC is lost in easy, but, in the end, neglectable attribution and authorship debates, as well as the futile attempt of structuring what, for better or worse, seems to have been a largely spontaneous process. In a hundred years, people will not ask: "How did they...?" - They will ask: "Who were they?"

Agreed. I've run into what Bob was speaking to, myself, and it's pretty much killed any enjoyment I've had from gaming in recent years. I'm sick to death of the 'politics' of the hobby, and it's becoming more and more of an effort not to simply hire a big enough skip/dumpster to clean out the basement and get my house back.

It's already happening. I was in the game shop about five minutes from my house a while back, and nobody in the place had any idea who Dave or Gary were. Or what they'd done. And yes, "Who were they?" was asked.

Messages In This Thread