Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Dave Arneson Interview in Space Gamer 1979
Havard Wrote:.....

It would be interesting if the Ancients Game Arneson is talking about would use Strategos N, because that would mean that the system could be used for fantasy. OTOH, Wesely's introduction from the quoted text in your post does suggest that other era technological weapons would require changes in the game.

In any case, it is worth noting that Arneson quite early on experimented with combining historical era settings with elements from Star Trek-like sci fi, predating even Blackmoor itself. The fact that Arneson refers to this game as "Fantasy" illustrates something you were saying before Greg, about the term fantasy back then meaning something else than it has come to mean in decades since, with sci fi now being seen as a separate genre.

-Havard

Oh just had a reason to revisit this thread and realized I now know the answer to Havard's question. The rules used for this game were Strategos A, which is a 5 or so page appendix to the Strategos N rules written by Dave Arneson and Randy Hoffa. I talk a little bit about it in my "was Blackmoor a CHAINMAIL Campaign" blog essay.

Messages In This Thread