Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
New Blog
Julian Grimm Wrote:First off, thanks for reading!

No problem! Write more about Blackmoor and I will keep reading it too! Smile

Quote: I decided to make my world inspired by both Blackmoor and Greyhawk. I feel that gives me more flexability on the creative side than just using the worlds themselves. That doesn't mean that there will not be a Blackmoor in my world, It will just be my version of Blackmoor.

This is a very good idea. The worst thing you can do is to let published material become a constraint. This is probably why some old school gamers are so opposed to published detailed settings. Personally I like them because it means I have something to pick and choose from instead of having to make up everything from scratch. YMMV. The key with published stuff though is to make it your own, which from the sound of it is exactly what you are doing. The fact that you do use the setting though means we have a common point of reference, which makes discussions more interest Smile

Quote: As for mapping I am looking at making a version of the legendary North America map for the world. This makes it big enough to fit in many ideas including what I feel are the core concepts of the worlds. I will be placing Greyhawk at Chicago and Dyvers at Milwaukee as was done in the past. As for Blackmoor I still don't know where I want it. I have looked at placing it around Hudson Bay or around lakes Winnipeg and Manitoba.

I am still doing research at this point and have only sketches of ideas. I have been referring to old threads on the 'proto-world' that later became the worlds we now know. I wish someone had the old C&C Society map available but since it is very possible that it no longer exists I can only work from the descriptions we have.

If you are thinking in terms of the C&C map, I suspect Blackmoor was located on the southern shore of Lake Superior. If you keep the coastlines identical to the US, that would make it difficult to involve the Skandaharians in any realistic way however.

Looking forward to hearing more about your game! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign

Messages In This Thread