Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Blackmoor Week 2024
Blackmoor Week Day 1

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
This year I'm running two different Blackmoor campaigns, set in two different timelines and with two different rulesets...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Blackmoor Week Day 2
Blackmoor Week Day 3
Not doing anything BM-specific tonight or tomorrow - week day, and my gaming efforts in recent years have gone into different directions, as you all know:

FYI, I have been waiting to run a Stormbringer game since forever - but repeatedly found myself distracted along the way. This time, it's the Military Fantasy game "Band of Blades" that is shaping up as sort of the winter season game; I am not entirely sure whether that one would necessarily be a good fit for BM/oldschool D&D-oriented gaming, but it's one of those ready-to-go, easy to run games, and that's pretty sweet. I am not necessarily all aboard the hype train when it comes to "Forged in the Dark" - but in a world where even mid-size systems like "Shadow of the Demon Lord" have more than a hundred extra booklets published for them, a good one-book system that comes with a full campaign, well, that's something to always consider. (At least the way that I am still wired.)

Now, I am doing something very much Blackmoor-related that I am happy to share with you guys: I've started reading and listening to the novelizations of the old "Dark Shadows" TV series that Marilyn Ross/William Edward Daniel Ross wrote in the 1970s. Happy to report that they are surprisingly good, and my plan is to read all 32 of them! They're often very 60s-cheesy, for sure, and very old-fashioned, but I am having fun with them.

How much BM really ended up being inspired by DS, I am not one to judge. But apart from this being a really nice journey by itself, it's really cool to get so close to material from back in the day that is a bit less "mainstream" than just Star Trek or Sprague de Camp.

As cool as I think the novels are, I am not really into the TV show itself, though. Tried a few times, strangely couldn't connect much. With the books, though, I completely intend to follow through until the series' conclusion. Smile
Tomorrow is the big day!.

Today's post also has a new Blackmoor NPC courtesy of the Gnomish Embassy Blog!

-Havard
Almost there! Smile

Tomorrow I will do the usual yearly statistics consideration for my two Blackmoor campaigns...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.