Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Share Thread:
Making a Video Talking about the setting of Blackmoor.
(08-06-2024, 05:51 AM)CawmeKrazee Wrote:
(08-05-2024, 08:05 PM)jbulloug@gmail.com Wrote: From what I have gathered, the Mystara-connected Blackmoor from DA1-4 is very much the same world as the Blackmoor from "First Fantasy Campaign" published by Judges Guild and the Zeitgeist/Goodman/Code Monkey Blackmoor (including the MMRPG) Blackmoor publications. The map is the same, the countries and characters are the same.

The Living Greyhawk Gazetteer's Blackmoor is definitely a different world (i.e., Gary Gygax's world of Greyhawk) with some similarities (Castle Blackmoor, Egg of Coot, City of the Gods).

I think I'll probably leave out Greyhawk's Blackmoor. As i dont think Dave Arneson had anything to do with it. I could very well be wrong.

Well,

I get the sense you guys aren't aware of my book so I guess first I would suggest you check it out: https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/previe...9219189527

Next I would say that if you are chasing only a Blackmoor that  " Dave Arneson had anything to do with it." that's a tough standard to parse.  Arneson had varying degrees of involvement in the ZG product, for example.  The DA series is loaded with Arneson originated material, but he had zero control over how it got used and there's lots of stuff, including an entire adventure that was entirely the creation of folks at TSR.  Arneson had nothing to do with the placing of his Blackmoor into the Mystara setting for example, and it is very much NOT the same world as the DA 1-4 series.  The original campaign used a different map and was set in the same world as Greyhawk.

Basically what I'm saying is that you are setting a standard for yourself that will be hard to follow with any certainty, even for those of us researching the topic for years.

I think the only really 100% Arneson Blackmoor products are The Garbage Pits of Despair adventure and the newly released Blackmoor Foundations book.

For a home campaign, you certainly can draw on any and all the available source to craft Blackmoor to you likening (Book linked above does that) but an accurate discussion of Blackmoor has to acknowledge the setting has varied a lot across publications, and that could be an interesting way for you to go.
I would like to provide and update on this. 

I've started on the script and with the release of "Age of The Wolf" inspiration has struck on how I will handle the lore video(s) on the subject matter. 
The lore of the setting I'll handle as if it's told from an unreliable historian/storyteller/archaeologist in the year 1300 talking about the history of Blackmoor from an "in character" standpoint. Allowing for me to be a reliable "unreliable" narrator of sorts. 

The reason for this is it will let me cover every version of Blackmoor in a sort of way where The Historian can go "Some records state that this happened. However there are conflicting records from another source as no one fully knows the truth."

I feel like this will be the best way to handle this. 

The first video will just be recounting the timeline that is provided in The Blackmoor Campaign Setting book by ZTG. Going over the timeline and providing interesting little nuggets of information with stuff like mentioning the Thonian Empire or races like the Cumasti and Docrae will make people go "What's those?" 

I'm genuinely wanting to do this right as I write up the script and scanning over every book I can. This first episode should be simple enough to do. My hope with this is to do something on a similar level as The Storyteller from youtube that goes over Fallout lore. 

When the first draft is done for the script I'll share it on here to let the better informed people of this forum correct any facts that I perhaps could have gotten wrong. I'm hoping I can have the script done by the end of the month.
Sounds like a fun approach.  I would recommend you avoid talking about external to Blackmoor things and places - like Thonia/Thonians, if you want to be setting neutral.

Thonia only exists in Mystara Blackmoor and the ZG followup.  Original Blackmoor had the Great Kingdom (i.e. Aerdy) and the JG Blackmoor had the CSIO.  Theoretically the AoW world doesn't have Thonia either.  For stuff like that you can probably just substitute a generic name like the southern empire or some such.  My two cents.