Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
The Battle of the Neck
The Neck is a small stretch of land in southwestern corner of Blackmoor, in the Barony of the Lakes. It borders on the southern part of the Duchy of Ten. It contains the following locations:
  • Tower of Midges (with garrison of 400 soldiers)
  • Gar's Hold (with garrison of 200 soldiers)
  • Ran's Hold (with garrison of 300 soldiers)

Each of these locations contains a small castle-like fortification with knights under the control of the Baron of Lakes (Han Aleford). 

The Battle of the Neck took place in 1013. The Duchy of Ten was attacked by the Afridhi 10 years earlier and the Afridhi army now wanted to use the Neck to gain access to Blackmoor territory. All the barons of Blackmoor joined in to support the Baron of the Lakes. The battle halted the Afridhi advance and 10.000 Afridhi were killed in the battle. 

This information comes from DA1 (p45) and DA4 (p27).

I am not sure if this battle was actually played out in Arneson's campaign, but I do recall talking to Greg Svenson about fighting the Afridhi. He described them as remincent of devil worshippers IIRC. I believe the Afridhi were originally referred to as Paynims and there are several references to those in the FFC. The FFC also mentions the Paynim Princess, which I believe was the character who became Toska Rusa, the Afridhi Queen as per the DA modules. 

I wonder what this battle would have been like and how it might have been played out?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign