Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Book vs. Movie
It seems that typically the generally accepted thought "the book is ALWAYS better" rings true most of the time. As with everything there are exceptions. So, what movies do you think turned out "better" - either partially or completely - than the book?

I believe is the ending of Misery was better than the ending in the book. The movie was creepy with the restaurant worker saying "I'm your #1 fan" in contrast to Paul Sheldon imagining that Annie was coming over the couch to get him. Confusedhock:

Your turn...
I sporadically blog (mostly) about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

Currently reading Dave Arneson's True Genius by Robert J. Kuntz.
Cool topic!

I have never read the novel Misery. I only watched the film, so that is intersting.

Another one I want to bring up is Blade Runner. 8)

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
As a rule of thumb, I think whichever came first tends to be better. If a movie is made from a book the book is usually better, but if a book is made from a movie it tends to lack depth.

It is interesting that movie creators feel the need to change details. I've seen a lot of discussion about LOTR and other movies where the film diverges from the script of the book. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Havard Wrote:Cool topic!

I have never read the novel Misery. I only watched the film, so that is intersting.

Another one I want to bring up is Blade Runner. 8)

-Havard

Thanks!

It's literally been years since I have watched Blade Runner and I've never read the book...
I sporadically blog (mostly) about role-playing topics at The Semi-Retired Gamer.

finarvyn Wrote:As a rule of thumb, I think whichever came first tends to be better. If a movie is made from a book the book is usually better, but if a book is made from a movie it tends to lack depth.

Great point and that's what I was thinking in my head but it didn't come out that way...

Semi-Retired Gamer Wrote:
finarvyn Wrote:As a rule of thumb, I think whichever came first tends to be better. If a movie is made from a book the book is usually better, but if a book is made from a movie it tends to lack depth.
Great point and that's what I was thinking in my head but it didn't come out that way...
I know that I've been suckered into buying a movie "novelization" on many occasions, and very rarely does it contribute anything to the story.

One exception that comes to mind is Star Wars III Revenge of the Sith. My memory is a little hazy because it's been years since I read it, but there is an excellent scene in the book where Anakin hears only part of a conversation between the Emperor and someone else (maybe Yoda but probably Mace Windu) and from the part he can hear it's clear how he could totally mininterpret the entire conversation's message. Very cool and well written, and I don't recall it being done like that in the movie. (Probably glot sliced out and is on the cutting room floor somewhere.)

And a clever scene in one of the Star Trek movies where Kirk has a conversation with Scotty's nephew, who is an ensign on the Enterprise. I think in the movie you never find out he's related to Scotty but seems like some random ensign. Again, probably in the script but edited out somewhere.

An exception the other way around was THE LAST SHIP, which was a dreadful 20-year-old novel and a cool TV miniseries. Much better than the original book!

Overall, the first one is the best one.
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
agree!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.