Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Braunstein meets the Petal Throne - June 8th, 2013
Hello!

[I'm not sure where this should be posted, so please feel free to move this to a better place if there is one. Thanks!]

On June 8th, 2013, I will be running a classic 'Braunstein'-style game at The Source Comics and Games here in the Twin Cities. I will be running this game the same way I have been running them since I learned the art from Dave Wesley, back in the late 1970's, and it will feature all of the traditional trimmings of the genre. The game will be set in Tekumel, and will feature a lot of the new miniatures being made by Howard Fielding of The Tekumel Project, but it will be the same kind of game that Dave Arneson was so very good at. Multiple players with multiple objectives, bribery, mayhem, and general tomfoolery.

A step back in time, to the 1970s, and we hope it'll amuse.

Game reports and photos to follow!

yours, chirine
Wow, I so want to be there!

But yes, please post pictures!

Will Captain Harchar be involved? 8)

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:Wow, I so want to be there!

But yes, please post pictures!

Will Captain Harchar be involved? 8)

-Havard

Of course! The David L. Arneson Memorial Maritime Miniatures Mayhem game, with out the good Captain?

Unthinkable!!!

yours, chirine
Hey Jeff!

Glad to see you're back! "The Source Comics", like, in Roseville, Minesota?
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:Hey Jeff!

Glad to see you're back! "The Source Comics", like, in Roseville, Minesota?

Thank you! It's been a very long haul back to being able to do things; I'll never be as active as I was before the bleed, but so it goes.

Anyway, yes, this is the store in Roseville, here in the Twin Cities.

However, the latest news about the game is not good:

I am sorry to report that the stars may have unaligned.

I found out yesterday that the store has scheduled a board game tournament for the same day (June 8th) and time as our game; this is in addition to the Open Family Boardgame Event and the Warhammer 40K event on the same date and in the same time. I am exploring our options, as I really want to run this game; I have an alternate venue that I'm working on, the Fantasy Flight Games Event Center. We've run this same game there, back in 2010, so I know it's easily doable. The FFG Event Center is not very far from The Source, but I'd prefer to be at The Source as one of the owners was an early player in Prof. Barker's original group. (It's a tradition thing.)

Either way, I will post the news here as soon as I find it out.

(I should also note that I really can't fault the store for having a large event that promotes their line of Eurogames; miniatures gaming, especially of Ye Olde Fashioned Kinde that I do, is not a profitable area for retailers. In the current game industry, only the really large companies with heavily promoted lines (GW, Warmachine, Malifaux, etc.) are what retailers are willing to take the risk of stocking. Historical miniatures, as well as 'classic' fantasy miniatures, simply don't sell. Companies like Crocodile Games, which have great figures but poor retail support, tend to get pushed out of stores in favor of the larger and more strongly supported lines.)

Sigh. I'll do what I can, and let you all know as soon as possible.

yours, Chirine
Hello!

After quite the comedy of errors, I have a venue in which to run this game on June 8th. Please send me a PM if you're interested; thanks!

-Chirine
To clarify, I won't be able to make it, lamentably, being located in Europe, and all.

However, the shop has a very good internet representation, from what I found.
If you could perhaps film at least part of the game, and put it online, that would be absolutely awesome! Smile
Le Noir Faineant Wrote:To clarify, I won't be able to make it, lamentably, being located in Europe, and all.

However, the shop has a very good internet representation, from what I found.
If you could perhaps film at least part of the game, and put it online, that would be absolutely awesome! Smile

Thanks for your post! I have all sorts of breaking news for everyone...

The Annual David l. Arneson Memorial Maritime Miniatures Mayhem Event and M. A. R. Barker Memorial Invitational Miniatures Game will be held on June 8th, 2013, at noon at the Fantasy Flight Games Center, whose website may be seen at:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_npm.asp?eidm=13

The Game Center stepped in at the last moment, after we were forced to move the event due to over-booking at our original game venue, and has kindly offered to host the game at no charge as a tribute to Dave Arneson, as a way to remember one of the truly great founders of our hobby.

In response to your message, the Event Center has wireless Internet access, and I am hoping that I will be able to have at least portions of the game go live on line during the event. I will be working on this all weekend, and have more news as I get it.
Please keep us updated on this...
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.