Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Ten Heroes
Who are the ten heroes of Ten?
I think the Heroes of Ten were first mentioned in the ZGG books. Before that, it was assumed that the Duchy of Ten was named after ten nobles who founded the Duchy. Of course, I guess it would be quite possible that they were both heroes and noble.

If so, they would probably have been the leaders of the families Walcheron, Stuveyant, Degern, Gladstone, Rotherman, Campbell, Hubal, Van Rijn and two more.

Of the two unknown families, you could use Astonwood and Arrowdark, two noble families from the BMPG.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Yeah, what Havard wrote.

Personally, of course, I favor one of the families to be the Messinas. :wink:
Cool. Those sound good to me. I thought, but wasn't certain, that the ten heroes originated in the zgg material.
I had just read the background in DA4 and that given in ZGG players guide and 4e book.

There's a notable difference in the origin story and I'd guess that's what Dave meant when said the ZGG material was more what he had in mind for Ten.

The ZGG write up describes Ten as a "wild west" of outlaws and bandits, not so much the escaped slaves and social rejects of DA1. The Ten Heroes appear to be bandit leaders (ala Jenkins types) who rise to prominence in the "pirate insurrection" against the Great Empire/Thonia, not a bunch of noble carpetbaggers as in DA1.

The rest of the account seems about the same though.
The noble families are mentioned in the ZGG books as well.

But I don't see them as carpetbaggers, assuming I understand that term correctly. Smile

Although they were nobles, I doubt that would mean they were particularly wealthy. Rather, they were part of the group known as the Unwanted, people who for various reasons were persecuted during the more repressive parts of Thonian history.

Pirates and bandit lords are probably more prominent in the coastal cities like Robinsport, which were originally part of the Duchy of the Peaks.

-Havard
Heh, yeah carpetbaggers is a pretty obscure american term. Basicaly referred to northerners who went to the south right after the Civil war "carpetbags" (suitcases) in hand and to take advantage of cheap land or scarcity of goods or whatever to make money or take over in the war ravaged south. The term came to to mean basically anybody who moves into a new place and starts throwing their weight around or takes advantage of the locals.
Havard Wrote:.......Walcheron, Stuveyant, Degern, Gladstone, Rotherman, Campbell, Hubal, Van Rijn and two more.

Of the two unknown families, you could use Astonwood and Arrowdark, two noble families from the BMPG.

-Havard

Just realized one of those missing two should be Monson, after Chuck Monson who controlled a barony in Ten.

From what it says in BMPG, Astonwood seems to be a much more powerful family than Arrowdark, so I'd prolly go with Monson and Astonwood as the last two.
Aldarron Wrote:Heh, yeah carpetbaggers is a pretty obscure american term. Basicaly referred to northerners who went to the south right after the Civil war "carpetbags" (suitcases) in hand and to take advantage of cheap land or scarcity of goods or whatever to make money or take over in the war ravaged south. The term came to to mean basically anybody who moves into a new place and starts throwing their weight around or takes advantage of the locals.

Ah, in that case I don't see these families in the Duchy of Ten as such types. Rather I see them as nobles who have fallen into unfavour with the Thonian Throne and end up leaving along with other so called Unwanted. While they would probably still be in a better position than other emigrants, I don't see them as much as in it to take advantage of the situation, but rather as other victims of persecution.

Aldarron Wrote:
Havard Wrote:.......Walcheron, Stuveyant, Degern, Gladstone, Rotherman, Campbell, Hubal, Van Rijn and two more.

Just realized one of those missing two should be Monson, after Chuck Monson who controlled a barony in Ten.

Good point about Chuck Monson. It seems it is still unclear whether he controlled a barony in Ten or the entire Duchy? Does the manuscript you have access to include Monson's role/character?

Quote:From what it says in BMPG, Astonwood seems to be a much more powerful family than Arrowdark, so I'd prolly go with Monson and Astonwood as the last two.

Later Blackmoor material starting with the DA modules seems to have made an effort to remove references to real world names for characters (while retaining nicknames like Svenny).

I could actually see Monson being "replaced" by someone even more influential like Campbell or even Hubal. (Hubal appears in several MMRPG episodes).

-Havard