Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Looking to start a Viking/Norse-inspired camp in Blackmoor
Aegir Wrote:
Havard Wrote:I tend to portray the Skandaharians IMC as much more savage than the historical vikings with lots of blood sacrifices and extreme brutality, though some clans could be more peaceful.
I think the Afridhi will be serving that role in my game. Given the description of them as demon-worshipers, I'm thinking they might have a ruling class that are effectively Tieflings.

Demon blood would definitely work well for the Afridhi.

IMC Skandaharians are Vikings as the Vikings were described by frightened English monks in the years after Lindisfarne. I prefer that to the jolly hollywood version anyway Smile

But as I said, some clans are more peaceful. Though Skandaharians are generally considered the enemies of Blackmoor.

Quote:
Quote:If the Egg is involved, it could easily have ways to influence primitive races without them really knowing what is going on.
Ooh, thats a good point. I know these guys are ruled by matriarchs that are effectively high priestesses/witches, and I could see the Egg manifesting himself as their "God" in order to influence them. Maybe make them more territorial then they would be otherwise in order to keep people away.

I have the Egg working in very subtle ways. Such manifestations may even occur simply in dreams that are so lifelike that some would believe them to have actually happened.

Quote:
Quote:I guess there could be Frisian colonies along the edge of the Duchy of the Peaks, or perhaps farther up north?
Odd idea... now that you mention that I've suddenly got this mental image of Frisian werewoves stationed in the Wolf Wood, maybe outcasts since they, like Skandaharians, consider the place cursed. Or hell, maybe its just the opposite for them...

You can find more details on the Wolfwoods in the D20 Sourcebook.... Not too far from your theories :twisted:

Quote:Another question: where would I find details of the role of dragons in Blackmoor? I've seen in a couple places they have something of a detailed backstory in how they connect, but I'm not sure if thats part of Blackmoor or simply trying to rationalize bits of Mystara with Blackmoor.

The D20 Sourcebook details the three Dragon Gods of Blackmoor. I have also posted some ideas here about the Peshwah and Dragons. What are you looking for in particular?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:IMC Skandaharians are Vikings as the Vikings were described by frightened English monks in the years after Lindisfarne. I prefer that to the jolly hollywood version anyway Smile
Oh the Skandaharians will still be nasty raiders and slavers, just... thats not all they'll be. Since my game is running from their POV, they'll need a bit more fleshing out then the terror from the north. Smile

Quote:I have the Egg working in very subtle ways. Such manifestations may even occur simply in dreams that are so lifelike that some would believe them to have actually happened.
That would definitely work, in fact I think thats the way to go exactly.

Quote:(Dragons) What are you looking for in particular?
Mostly, I remembered reading that Blackmoor's dragons were handled differently then normal (not just some big critter to be killed, but having some actual backstory to them), but yea, I think thats mostly it, that they're ctually worshipped as Gods in three specific respects. I love the Herbert connection you did there, Dune is one of my favs, so I think I'll be stealing that. Smile
Aegir Wrote:Oh the Skandaharians will still be nasty raiders and slavers, just... thats not all they'll be. Since my game is running from their POV, they'll need a bit more fleshing out then the terror from the north. Smile

It only makes sense that there are many different factions among the Skandaharians. One such faction could be the Northern Lords, which I did a writeup on some years ago.

Quote:
Quote:(Dragons) What are you looking for in particular?
Mostly, I remembered reading that Blackmoor's dragons were handled differently then normal (not just some big critter to be killed, but having some actual backstory to them), but yea, I think thats mostly it, that they're ctually worshipped as Gods in three specific respects. I love the Herbert connection you did there, Dune is one of my favs, so I think I'll be stealing that. Smile

Cool Smile
The three Dragon Gods are detailed in the D20 DAB Sourcebook. From the FFC I'm getting the impression that Dragons would often fight alongside armies. Both the forces of evil and god would have dragonriders on their side...

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign