Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
"The Player's Guide to Blackmoor", ZGG, 2006.
[Image: IMPZTG4506_500.jpeg]

Quote:Dive deep into the most comprehensive text on Blackmoor, from the player's view. Hundreds of Blackmoor specific feats and spells. New base and prestige classes. A must-have for any Blackmoor player!

http://paizo.com/store/byCompany/c/code ... 48btpy826j
1 of 5 smashed Afridhi skulls.

Ahh, the infamous BMPG. Why infamous? - Because the book was published as a nearly unedited manuscript,
without proper editing, spelling correction, or indexing (yeah, that means placeholders in the ongoing text).

This is, by far, the worst edited roleplaying book I've ever seen, apart from Wizard's "Expeditition to Castle Ravenloft". And I have seen a lot.

So, alone for that, the worst possible grade is well earned.

The content itself is not bad, though, basically being a summary of much that was introduced in the MMRPG in the first two years of its run, if maybe a bit too generic for my taste.
- In fact, I even took quite a bit from the BMPG book for my own game, and never regretted it.
BUT the book's presentation and layout are simply unacceptable for a piece that supposedly cost 35 bucks back in its day.

Basically, if you can get this one for cheap, enjoy it.
But if some crazy ebay seller wants to sell it for a fortune, gladly pass.

The paizo and amazon prizes are fair, but, as I said, don't expect anything above average from this book.
I tend to agree with you on this one. My main objection is what you mention about the material being too generic. The whole sections on feats, PrCs and spells and no reference to where they fit into Blackmoor, which culture/race uses which feats/Spells/PrCs and things like that.

Of course, the thing about flawed products is that they are so much fun to take apart and make those connections that I feel are missing. Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Could someone give us a list of the credits. I have been looking for the credit list for this book online to see who wrote it, edited it, and did the layout.

Note: This is not to call out these individuals, but I'd just like to know who else worked on Blackmoor after I left.
Jeffrey Quinn
Writer & Game Designer
JPQuinn Wrote:Could someone give us a list of the credits. I have been looking for the credit list for this book online to see who wrote it, edited it, and did the layout.

Note: This is not to call out these individuals, but I'd just like to know who else worked on Blackmoor after I left.

Writing and design: Ken Austin, Tim Barth, Joe Cirillo, Dustin Clingman, Dawn Oakly, Nathan Collins, Richard Iorio II, Tad Kilgore, Christopher Reed, Harley Stroh, Rodney Thompson, Kristoffer Wade.

Editing: Scott Gray, Eric Kiefer

While I tend to agree with Rafe's fairly low rating of this book, I don't think it would have taken much additional work to make it considerably better. My main beef with it is that large sections of the book are too generic, with no references to Blackmoor at all. There are exceptions to this though, such as the section on organizations.

-Havard
I collect autographed RPG books. A few years back at Origins, my wife took my copy of BMPG to a Blackmoor MMRPG game and got Tim Barth to autograph it for me. Tim Barth's autographed copy of BMPG now sits happily on a shelf alongside my other BM books autographed by Dave Arneson, Larry Elmore, and Harley Stroh. Smile
*Sheridan
Check out my latest projects: The Fey Codex (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237056) and Heart and Soul (levels 5-10, https://www.dmsguild.com/product/252178).
[Image: Tolleen.png]
sheridan Wrote:I collect autographed RPG books. A few years back at Origins, my wife took my copy of BMPG to a Blackmoor MMRPG game and got Tim Barth to autograph it for me. Tim Barth's autographed copy of BMPG now sits happily on a shelf alongside my other BM books autographed by Dave Arneson, Larry Elmore, and Harley Stroh. Smile

Lucky stiff! Smile

-Havard
More here:

http://blackmoormystara.blogspot.com/20 ... guide.html

-Havard