Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Wilderlands Maps
Some might be interested to know that after a hiatus of nearly 5 years I have been able to come back to the Wilderlands maps and finish what I had started. I have just finished maps 16-18, finally completing the set, and have spent today achieving my original goal - stitching them together to make a complete copy of the whole Wilderlands Campaign Map. Smile

156 hexes x 204 hexes - fancy an old-fashioned hex crawl, anyone?
The file is up on flickr and in the dropbox folder in my signature - it's 4.12mb for the png.
There are no text labels - I still haven't decided whether to add them or not.

I have no idea how many people are interested in such a thing, but if you are one of them, enjoy. Smile

[Image: 16181919374_d4cf7137d7_s.jpg]
[Image: JamesPren.png]

Davey Carter Human Swordmaster
Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Well, I AM interested! Sweet, my friend! Sweet! Smile
A great map! fantastic work Dave! Smile

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Agreed, Dave. Your maps are first-rate! 8)
Marv / Finarvyn
Member of The Regency Council
Visit my Blackmoor OD&D board
OD&D since 1975

"Don't ask me what you need to hit. Just roll the die and I will let you know!"
- Dave Arneson

[Image: Giladan.png]
Well, Stage 3 in now underway - putting the labels on all 18 maps, as well as the combined map.

However, while working on the labels I finally managed to get my hands on a copy of Illustrator CS2 - yes, I know it's years old, but I finally decided it was time to learn how to make vector maps, with a little (a lot of) help from Thorf's mapping files.

After a week of sweat, frustration, and almost giving up, I have something that I think is worth showing.

So, I have a request. Please look at the two maps I have posted here on Dropbox and tell me what you think.

One is my old Gimp map with labels - zoom in and you can see the pixels and watch the text blur.
The other is my new Illustrator map - I have deliberately tried to copy the style I have used in the other map, the difference being that if you zoom in everything should remain crystal clear.

Feedback please. Smile

Tales from the Vales

View my maps on flickr | Blackmoor Maps on Dropbox | Wilderlands Maps on Dropbox
Have you tried zooming into your new map (in Illustrator, before exporting to .png) and creating blow-up maps of areas?
Vile Wrote:Have you tried zooming into your new map (in Illustrator, before exporting to .png) and creating blow-up maps of areas?
Hmm, I've never tried that. Never needed to. Smile
I'm not sure the export function works that way - I have to crop the image to select the area to export, and it asks what resolution to use. I think it's options are 72dpi (screen resolution), 150dpi and 300dpi.

If you selected a smaller area, the PNG wouldn't be any better than just copying it from the large one, as I already use the 300dpi option for the files.

Although - just thinking out loud here - I suppose I could cut out a smaller area, then scale it to fill a larger section - making it 2 miles per hex, say. I'd need to do some sums to make sure I got the scaling right. I would need to scale each layer though, which would be fine except for the labels and terrain symbols, I think. So I'd need to redo those.

A fair bit of work the first time maybe, working our scales and finding out how to do everything in Illustrator (I've only had the software a couple of weeks), but as long as I took notes then doing it again should be a lot quicker.

Umm. It wouldn't add any more detail to the area though, but it would give you more hexes at a smaller scale, which would enable much more precise placement of villages, caves and ruins etc., so for a DM it would be a nice "semi-blank canvas" for them to fill in, I suppose. Is that the sort of thing you were thinking of?

Tales from the Vales