Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Arcane Organizations in the North
Related to this topic, I am taking a look at the organizations for Arcane Spellcasters in the North.

The Wizards Cabal
The main organization of Wizards. Perscutors of Sorcerers etc etc.

Ordo Elementarum
Elemental Mages, recently returned from the Planes. They hate technology and seek to destroy inventions and clock work tech.

Quincke's Brigade
A small group working against the Wizard's Cabal. Possibly controlled by the Egg of Coot.

Scroll and Blade
Mercenary Wizards based off Bramwald.

Eldrich Underground
Alliance of Sorcerers and Rogue Wizards, working to thwart the rule of the Wizards Cabal.

My initial reaction was that these are way too many organizations for such a small group of individuals. However, looking a bit more closely into the matter, it becomes clear that many of them only have a small representation in the North. Quincke's Brigade is just a small group to begin with. Ordo Elementarum might be bigger, but most of their members are still travelling the planes or are scattered elsewhere.

It is also problematic that most elves are apparently not part of any of the organizations. The same goes for Afridhi and monster spellcasters.

Here's suggested breakdown of the membership numbers:

The Wizards Cabal - 200
Ordo Elementarum - 30
Quincke's Brigade - 20
Scroll and Blade - 50
Eldrich Underground - 200

This assumes there being around 700 mages in the North. The organizations include ca 500, leaving around 200 mages not belonging to any organization.

Thoughts on this?

The information above is taken from the Player's Guide to Blackmoor (D20)

Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I've been giving this some more thought. The Ordo Elementarum could be bigger if we assume that their members are mostly elves...

In any case, I would be reluctant to take away the Elemental schtick from the elves since that is part of what makes them different from elves in other settings. It also reminds me of the story of the elves with water hoses of holy water from Dave's campaign...

Havard
What about the Red Coven?
Aldarron Wrote:What about the Red Coven?

Good point, but I'm not touching it for now as I want to see what Rafael is doing with it in his campaign Smile

Havard
In the Maiden's Timeline, I have the Red Coven set as a pre-historic alliance of magic-users that ruled the north before an upheaval of the later King Robert of the Genevan tribe drove them out.

Starport is supposedly the last of their holdings, though forbidden for any normal human to enter.