Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Hello trying to learn more on Blackmoor and maybe DM someday
Just a hello, I am currently researching Blackmoor and learning how to play with the hopes of DMing again someday. I am an old 1e player now getting comfortable with 5e.
Honestly, I prefer starting out with 5e's Basic Rules, and gradually adding in Player's Handbook material as the game progresses.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
I could see the appeal of that. I think 5e is great in its emphasis in RP and the flexibility in character creation compared to 1e, but it's also overwhelming and in some ways, I think they may have too much. I know I feel overwhelmed when I look at the 5e classes and abilities vs. 1e.
Hollis Wrote:I could see the appeal of that. I think 5e is great in its emphasis in RP and the flexibility in character creation compared to 1e, but it's also overwhelming and in some ways, I think they may have too much. I know I feel overwhelmed when I look at the 5e classes and abilities vs. 1e.
Precisely why I like 5e's Basic Rules, as the Player's Handbook can be a bit overwhelming.
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:
Hollis Wrote:I could see the appeal of that. I think 5e is great in its emphasis in RP and the flexibility in character creation compared to 1e, but it's also overwhelming and in some ways, I think they may have too much. I know I feel overwhelmed when I look at the 5e classes and abilities vs. 1e.
Precisely why I like 5e's Basic Rules, as the Player's Handbook can be a bit overwhelming.

Precisely why I continue to play OD&D. All, and by all I mean every little bit that matters, of the character variability can be added to an OD&D game - it's that customizable (self-evident as all version of D&D stem from OD&D). But OD&D brings in none of the immersion-destroying, hyper-annoying action economy nonsense of 5e. Tongue
Did you manage to take the big leap and run the first Blackmoor adventure?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.