Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Share Thread:
Mike Carr's Ruins of Rangar 1983
Ruins of Rangar is a "Pick A Path to Adventure" game book in the Fantasy Forest series. It was published by TSR and uses many elements of D&D (monsters etc) even though it doesn't have

Given that Mike Carr's first experiences with Fantasy Roleplaying were in Dave Arneson's Blackmoor campaign, I bought the book, curious to see if there was anything there that could be seen as nods to those origins.

This is perhaps all coincidental, but there are a few things of note:
  • A good knight called Sir Gregor. A nod to Greg Svenson?
  • Horse Nomads. Peshwah?
  • A Golden Crystal Ball. Related to the Gem of Sunlight in the Temple of Id?

Also a bunch of other things, but they are too common D&D tropes to neccessarily be associated with Blackmoor specifically.

Some other things in this book for further borrowing:

Castle Rangar: Home of Nightshade, the Skeleton King
Castle Kell: Another ruined Castle
Knights of the Golden Dragon: An order of good knights.
The Shadow Rider: An evil warrior mounted on a Griffon

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Huh. Never heard of this. I wonder if the book might lend itself to being converted to an actual adventure?
Do you own this one, Havard?

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. How much did you pay for this rare gem?
$6.95 on ebay. Smile

I will write an analysis and share here when time permits, but it may take a while before I get around to it.

-Havard
I was doing some more research on the Fantasy Forest Adventure Book Series from TSR in the Piazza Mystara Forum, when I came across the following:

At least three books in the series are set in the same setting: #2: Ruins of Rangar (Mike Carr), #3 : Shadowcastle (Michael Gray), #4: Keep of the Ancient King (Mike Carr). All three books feature Sir Gregor the Good Knight. Since two of the three books were written by Mike Carr, I am wondering if he was using Blackmoor as inspiration for these adventures...

-Havard
Havard Wrote:I was doing some more research on the Fantasy Forest Adventure Book Series from TSR in the Piazza Mystara Forum, when I came across the following:

At least three books in the series are set in the same setting: #2: Ruins of Rangar (Mike Carr), #3 : Shadowcastle (Michael Gray), #4: Keep of the Ancient King (Mike Carr). All three books feature Sir Gregor the Good Knight. Since two of the three books were written by Mike Carr, I am wondering if he was using Blackmoor as inspiration for these adventures...

I have now obtained all of the books in this series. The first book by Jim Ward seems unrelated to the rest (at least at first glance), but all of the others, both by Carr and Gray use many of the same characters and locations, including Sir Gregor.

-Havard
Can you please expand on this, once you read all the gamebooks mentioned, with ease?
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
I am curious, as well. I just noticed this. Sir Gregor certainly attracted my interest.
[Image: Sven.png]
Baetho an Elf
The Vales campaign
Yaztromo Wrote:Can you please expand on this, once you read all the gamebooks mentioned, with ease?

gsvenson Wrote:I am curious, as well. I just noticed this. Sir Gregor certainly attracted my interest.

With the exception of the first book, the series is clearly set in the same game world with many characters, monsters and locations being revisited in some way in each book.
Sir Gregor, Good Knight of the Golden Dragon is mentioned in each book, though he is more prominent in some books than others. In one book you take on the role of Sir Gregor's squire Erik.

I will try to compile a bit more later on. Smile

-Havard
Thanks!
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.