Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Mike Carr's "Quasqueton" in the Hills of Ten?
I've been musing over on Dragonsfoot about a proto-location for Mike Carr's caverns of Quasqueton. It occurred to me a while back that the "Northern Barbarians" on the DB#9 map of the Great Kingdom could have been the inspiration for the northern barbarians who figure so largely in the saga of Rogahn and Zelligar. These also appear on Dave Megarry's map, depicted below:

[Image: Great%20Kingdom%20Megarry%20Quasqueton.png]

Aldarron Wrote:Last time I ran B1, I placed it in the hills west of Ten. On the Blackmoor maps they are called "The Gargoyle Hills". I assumed the barbarians were a long way off, otherwise they would probably have swept in and sacked Quasqueton.
I like that placement a lot - I agree in retrospect that Quasqueton should be much closer to civilization. Perhaps even within the Duchy of Ten (one of the suggested locations in the WoG was the Duchy of Tenh, after all). Those hills/mountains within the Duchy of Ten on the Zeitgeist map look like a pretty compelling location.

[Image: Quasqueton%20locale.png]

The geography of Blackmoor and its environs changed a lot over time. The Gargoyle Hills are north of the Wilds of Ten, to the east of the Barrier Swamp on the DA1 hexmap, which was itself based upon the 1977 FFC hexmap. They seem to have moved westward, beyond the Barrier Swamp on the Zeitgeist map.

Flipping through these maps brought back some great memories - I ran my group through DA1-3 back in the day, and finished our campaign with DA4 a few years later. Good times!

Would be fun to kick start a new Blackmoor campaign using module B1, someday... 8)
Well... better sooner, rather than later! Wink
He's a real Nowhere man, sitting in his Nowhere land,
making all his Nowhere plans for Nobody.
Cool theories.

Adapting Quasqueton to Blackmoor is definitely appropriate, even if Mike Carr only played for a limited time in Dave's campaign.

I have too many other things set in the Hills of Ten myself so I decided to place Quasqueton south of the Plains of Hak IMC.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
paleologos Wrote:
Aldarron Wrote:"The Gargoyle Hills".
I like that placement a lot

Thanks - me too. Wink After (as usual) giving it more thought than I probably needed to, it seemed a pretty perfect fit.