Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
Mi-Karr and the Wizards Cabal
[Image: 7434481772_6deb2b0f8d.jpg]

The Wizard of Mi-Karr (as he appears in the Vales Campaign)

995 NC is the year the Egg of Coot invades Blackmoor for the first time. This year marks the beginning of both the First Fantasy Campaign and the Vales Campaign. In the Year 995, Mi-Karr is the most powerful Wizard of the North. At this time, the Wizard of the Woods and Robert the Bald are only taking the first steps on their paths to power. From Wizardwatch Keep, Mi-Karr is the High Spellwise of the Wizards Cabal. He administers various projects in the North, both within the borders of the Empire and beyond, into lands like the Duchy of Ten and the Vales.

Under Mi-Karr's leadership, the Wizards Cabal has continued to insist on its independence from Imperial control, refusing to take sides in conflicts between Thonia and its neighbors. The Coot Invasions will put that neutrality to the test. The extent of Mi-Karr's involvement in the Vales is yet to be revealed.

Behind the Curtains (Design Notes)
The only information about Mi-Karr is from the first pages of the First Fantasy Campaign. The information there even is sparse. I assumed originally that he was played by Mike Carr, but when I asked Carr about this, he did not recall playing any character besides his Cleric (Bishop Carr), so it is more likely that Arneson simply chose the name as a tribute to his friend. Possibly the role was designed for Carr, but as he was unable to attend the game it was filled by someone else (maybe even Arneson).

In the Vales Campaign, a recurring theme was going to be the Wizards Cabal's involvement in the Vales, as it tied into the background of at least two of the PCs. While the Cabal's main operative in the Vales was going to be Master Oswin, I needed a name for someone Oswin would serve. Making Mi-Karr the leader (High Spellwise) of the Cabal seemed natural. Dave made him powerful enough to be listed among a handful of barons and kingdoms. While his forces are limited at the start of the campaign, he controls resources rivalling the wealthier cities. Since my campaign is based on the ZGG model for the Wizards Cabal, it seemed likely that Mi-Karr was not only a member, but an influential one as well.

His listing in the FFC as Neutral works well with the ambigous role of the Wizards Cabal in the ZGG version. While so little is told of Mi-Karr in the FFC, making him leader of the Wizards Cabal really helped fill out the blanks. We already know so much about the Wizards Cabal. Also, the descriptions in the Wizards Cabal Sourcebook (WCS) about the Coot Invasions never sat well with me. It really gives off the impression that the Cabal and the Thonian Empire saved the day, while seemingly stealing the glory from Svenny and his companions. I have always read that sourcebook as a kind of propaganda document for the Cabal though. By connecting these elemets from the FFC and the WCS, I am getting a picture that fits better with my original impression of the situation. We now have Thonia and the Cabal in supporting roles, while the heroes from Arneson's group doing the heavy work. I was surprised at how much this connection provided a sense of continuity (for me) between the source materials through the eras. With the Cabal becoming effectively Mi-Karr's organization, the discrepancy between ZGG Blackmoor and the FFC seems lessened.

So what became of Mi-Karr? We know that Ursula Zov became High Spellwise in 1012 so by then he either must have been killed or have passed onto other activities. Death by old age doesnt seem very wizard-like, but I guess it is possible. Who knows how long he had been around for before that?

Thoughts?

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
I'm guessing that in 1012 Dranwyn finally catches up to him Wink

Seriously though, I like this explanation for Mi-Karr. You'll have to forgive a relative Blackmoorian Neophyte thought, when I ask exactly how the Cabal fits into the emerging nation of Blackmoor? Does the Cabal play some key role in the formation of the nation, or would it oppose Blackmoor's succession from Thonia?
Chimpman Wrote:I'm guessing that in 1012 Dranwyn finally catches up to him Wink

8)
Actually I am glad that this is left vague for now. I always intended him mainly as a background character for the campaign, but who knows what can happen in possible sequels? Smile

Quote:Seriously though, I like this explanation for Mi-Karr. You'll have to forgive a relative Blackmoorian Neophyte thought, when I ask exactly how the Cabal fits into the emerging nation of Blackmoor? Does the Cabal play some key role in the formation of the nation, or would it oppose Blackmoor's succession from Thonia?

Thanks!
According to TWC, Ursula Zov had a meeting with Uther where the Cabal agreed not to oppose Uther's rebellion, in return to Uther giving certain concessions to the Cabal. Again, TWC should in my opinion be read as if written to portray the Cabal in a favorable light, so there could be more sides to that story. TWC also offers some speculation that Uther may be secretly supporting some underground Sorcerer organizations like the Eldritch Underground just to keep the Cabal on its toes. This doesnt seem very much like Uther to me, but in any case the Cabal is a fairly problematic friend to have.

In general, the Cabal tends to stay out of secular politics as long as it is given authority over arcane activity. It seems that the northern baronies were the only part of Thonia where the Cabal ever got any foothold though, with Imperial Mages being independent of that organization. This could also explain why the Cabal ended up backing Uther.

-Havard
One wonders if the Cabal had any dealings with Uther's Blackmoor University. We know he intended it to be a center for study of all sorts of things. Did the Cabal have first dibs on instructor/advisory positions? Set limits to what would be taught there, if they were not involved in the teaching..? Would they have supported or opposed something like that? Or maybe there were factions in the Cabal that were friendly to the idea, while there were others which were not.... :twisted:
Rob
[Image: Trista-Thronesig-zps94e26f1f.png]
Follow Thorn's Chronicle on Facebook | twitter | The Blog
RobJN Wrote:One wonders if the Cabal had any dealings with Uther's Blackmoor University. We know he intended it to be a center for study of all sorts of things. Did the Cabal have first dibs on instructor/advisory positions? Set limits to what would be taught there, if they were not involved in the teaching..? Would they have supported or opposed something like that? Or maybe there were factions in the Cabal that were friendly to the idea, while there were others which were not.... :twisted:

I dont have my books with me right now, but I was always under the impression that the University was a joint project by Uther and the Cabal. Again TWC insists on presenting the situation as if Uther had to make concessions to the Cabal, but I think it is more likely that the University was Uther's idea and something that helped him get the Cabal on his side. Uther was always a progressive though and may have gone through with it anyway, but he would have wanted the Mages involved.

There are definately factions within the Cabal, though I dont know if any published material has identified it. Note that Sildonis is an important member of the Cabal and may be among those in that organization who support Uther. It is unknown if Robert the Bald is a member of the Cabal, but Im guessing that formally he is, though the Cabal are probably smart enough not to press the matter. Robert has little interest in politics, even within the society of mages.

-Havard