Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Share Thread:
[Barsoom] Blackmoor and Mars
The upcoming John Carter of Mars movie, got me thinking about this. The main connection I see here are Blackmoor's Sand Folk who are very similar to Barsoom's Tharks:

Quote:Thark

No. Appearing: 1-8, Armor Class: 4, Move: 12", Hit Dice: 10+(1-4), % in Liar: 30, Treasure Type: E, No. of Attacks: 2, Damage/Attack: 4-24/4-24, Alignment: Neutral.

Also known as Green Martians, these creatures have six limbs: two for walking erect, two used as arms and two in between which can be used as either. Eyes are set at extreme sides of heads and above center and can look in one or two directions without turning the head. Ears, slightly above eyes and close together; small cup-like antennae protruding about one inch on small specimens. Noses are longitudinal slits entered in face midway between mouth and ears. Iris of eye is blood-red, pupils are dark, eyeball is very white, as are the pair of tusks extending from the lower jaw upwards in a curve toward the center of the face where human eyes would be. They range in height from 12 to 15 feet tall and weigh up to 400 pounds.

We know that Gary and Kuntz sent Erac's Cousin adventuring on Greyhawk's Mars. In 1974, TSR published Warriors of Mars, which has some times been used in connection with OD&D.

Mystaros had the FSS Beagle pick up the Sand People on "Mars" before crashing on Blackmoor.

-Havard
Currently Running: The Blackmoor Vales Saga
Currently Playing: Daniel S. Debelfry in the Throne of Star's Campaign
Havard Wrote:The upcoming John Carter of Mars movie, got me thinking about this. The main connection I see here are Blackmoor's Sand Folk who are very similar to Barsoom's Tharks:

Quote:Thark

No. Appearing: 1-8, Armor Class: 4, Move: 12", Hit Dice: 10+(1-4), % in Liar: 30, Treasure Type: E, No. of Attacks: 2, Damage/Attack: 4-24/4-24, Alignment: Neutral.

Also known as Green Martians, these creatures have six limbs: two for walking erect, two used as arms and two in between which can be used as either. Eyes are set at extreme sides of heads and above center and can look in one or two directions without turning the head. Ears, slightly above eyes and close together; small cup-like antennae protruding about one inch on small specimens. Noses are longitudinal slits entered in face midway between mouth and ears. Iris of eye is blood-red, pupils are dark, eyeball is very white, as are the pair of tusks extending from the lower jaw upwards in a curve toward the center of the face where human eyes would be. They range in height from 12 to 15 feet tall and weigh up to 400 pounds.

We know that Gary and Kuntz sent Erac's Cousin adventuring on Greyhawk's Mars. In 1974, TSR published Warriors of Mars, which has some times been used in connection with OD&D. The OD&D74 Forum has more details on that game.

Mystaros had the FSS Beagle pick up the Sand People on "Mars" before crashing on Blackmoor.

-Havard
Havard Wrote:Mystaros had the FSS Beagle pick up the Sand People on "Mars" before crashing on Blackmoor.

I don't remember hearing that before. What source was that from?
-Scott
*Sheridan
Check out my latest projects: The Fey Codex (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/237056) and Heart and Soul (levels 5-10, https://www.dmsguild.com/product/252178).
[Image: Tolleen.png]
sheridan Wrote:
Havard Wrote:Mystaros had the FSS Beagle pick up the Sand People on "Mars" before crashing on Blackmoor.

I don't remember hearing that before. What source was that from?
-Scott

I believe its from this one: http://www.pandius.com/ageblack.html

I thought there was a better quote, but this is the only one I can find right now.

Mystaros Wrote:The first manned Solar Exploration Vessel, the TLC Venture, launched from the Port Uther Colony on the Moon in 3180 BC, bound for "Mars". The trip took 5 weeks, and when it arrived, it landed on "Mars" and made contact with the natives... a silicon based race of seven foot tall, four armed humanoids, dominated by a warrior culture. The explorers chronicled ancient ruins of cities, citadels and canals on "Mars" that they dated to circa 3,000,000 BC, ruins that the local race (dubbed the "Sandfolk") claimed were built by their long-dead masters, the "Ancients". The Sandfolk claimed that they were not originally native to "Mars" but came from elsewhere, brought to that planet as a servitor race for the "Ancients".

Actually it seems that I was wrong about them originally being from Mars, but at least there is the martian connection.

-Havard